Sunday, February 8, 2009

tournament

Yesterday, Kyle and I took Abby to her first taekwondo tournament.  

I think it was the first time ever that I actually had to wake Abby up in the morning.  It was kinda sad, she had this classic bewildered look on her face like "Wha? Where am I? Why am I being dressed? It's still dark out and I'm so sleepy.."  We eventually got our stuff together and drove up to New Hampshire.

Kyle competed with the other 4th and 5th degrees.  It was his first time competing with his new 5th degree form.  His goal was just to remember all of it (we haven't trained just a whole lot since November!)  Well, when he got his scores from the judges, they put him in first place!  Kyle was stunned.  The last guy to compete beat his score, so Kyle ended up with second place.  I was super proud of him - cause it's not an easy form to do, let alone to place your first time competing with it...

Next was weapons - which Kyle usually takes 1st in.  He's actually only a few points away from qualifying for the top 10 competition at World's this year (thus the reason he competed at this tournament).  He placed 3rd - which is of course still great - but if you know Kyle, you know he wasn't happy with that.  Crazy kid.  

I spent the day watching Kyle compete and judge and tending to little Abigail, I did get to help Kyle scorekeep in a ring which was a nice change to sitting in the bleachers.  I don't think going to a tournament and not competing or judging will ever feel right. As far as Abs goes -she had lots of people from our region who wanted to meet her, and she did great.  She even took all her naps amidst the yells and cheering.  I can't wait for the day when she's out there too...pigtails and all.  :)  Kyle and I stopped at an Outback on the way back and had a nice little dinner out.  We enjoyed it.  When we got back home we were pretty tired.  I think Kyle was in bed by 8!

So, it was a good day - here are some pictures for ya.

Abby isn't too sure about these things...
Photobucket   

"what's this all up in my strolla, dude?"
Photobucket

Abby & Daddy
Photobucket

With some of the high ranks: Senior Master Kenney (our instructor), Kyle & Abs, Sr. Master Roy, and Master Verrocciho (our other instructor).  
Photobucket

And finally asleep.
Photobucket


3 comments:

Lauren McKnight said...

Sounds like you guys had a great day! Congrats to Kyle. I hope the game is fun today!

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

she's such a good baby! I know I always haaate having to wake Gracie, it goes against everything I want to do. congrats to Kyle, too (even on third place that disappointed him:)

jennybee said...

Yay, Kyle! I can't believe he did so well after having so little practice and so many distractions these past few months! Wait, yes I can. He's Kyle.

Abigail is totally rocking that hood. Holding her fist like that, she looks like she's saying, "Word."

background

counter