Monday, September 14, 2009

9 months

This is a couple of days late, sorry about that. Abby turned 9 months old on Saturday.

We spent the day doing some needed shopping for school supplies and groceries and other odds and ends - it was a good day. We all went to TGI Fridays for dinner and Abby, even though she had slept for a grand total of 30 mins the whole day, hung in there. Sunday was lazy, and I got caught up in finishing the last book of the Twlight series - so forgot to blog.

So. Abby at 9 months.

Well, she's still amazing. She's (yet again) more alert and curious than ever. We have a kind of makeshift barricade in our living room and she spends a lot of her time scooting around that space exploring every inch of it. This means that she inevitably always finds something that she shouldn't have - no matter how many times I think I've found everything.

Yesterday, she unplugged the TV. She was in her jumper, which was, apparently, too close to the wall. I hadn't even noticed that the TV plugged in there until it suddenly went black and I looked up to see her sitting there with the plug in her hand looking extremely pleased with herself. I moved pretty quickly and now the jumper has a new location.

Abby isn't quite crawling yet, but she's so close that I know it won't be long. She spends more time on all fours than she does on her belly I think. She just doesn't move yet. Yesterday, I was letting her watch this show called "Little Einsteins" She really seems to enjoy it - it captures her attention for the whole 20 mins. Anyway, she watched the whole show just sitting on all fours with her head tilted up to the TV. It didn't look comfortable, but I guess she didn't mind. She's also started to bear crawl a step or two. She'll get on her hands and feet and take a shuffle or two forward and then fall to her knees, then to her belly - where she still scoots/drags herself around...very quickly, might I add.

She usually breaks through our barricade once a day, or we let her roam the apartment. She's recently discovered the door jams on the bottom of each door. She likes to grab them and use them to swing the doors open. She broke on of them off. sigh. She likes to pull up on things all day long, but hasn't yet mastered the art of pulling up all the way to her feet yet. Actually, I think there aren't many things for her to practice on. Most of the things for her to pull up on are too short. But she is good at getting to her knees. She can now pull up and look in her toy box and pull things out that she wants.

She likes food. I can't think of anything in particular that she won't eat. But, there are times when she is less zealous about food. She is so easy to understand. When she doesn't want something, she just looks at it when you offer it to her - mouth sealed shut, no expression on her face at all - she just stares at it. If you try to force her to eat it, she'll turn her head. On the other hand, if she wants it, her mouth is wide open before the first bite is finished. :) She's discovered mashed potatoes - which is something she's only had off of my plate at restaurants. Maybe that's why she loves them so much. Maybe she just loves her carbs, I dunno, but I think she would eat them all day if we'd let her. She's also pretty crazy about any of the Gerber finger food snacks - cheese puffs, veggie puffs, and wagon wheels.

She can drink from her sippy cup now, but doesn't like to hold it on her own like her bottle - I think its heavier than she likes. She gets some juice, usually apple, at least once a day now.

She waves. At everything. Everyday. It's super cute. It's even cuter when she looks at you from across the room - all serious like, and waves her hand at you and then beams the biggest smile when you wave back. It's as if she's thinking "it worked! I made them do it again!"

She's a little thrill seeker. She loves to be swung upside down, tossed, flipped, or flown. Sometimes when Kyle is holding her, she'll suddenly throw her whole body weight back in an attempt to be swung down. She'll do it over and over - giggling the whole time.

She loves her books, she smiles as soon as we get one out and this pleases me immensely.

She has decided that there is nothing more annoying in the world than having her diaper changed. Apparently, being on her back for that 20 seconds is just. too. long. She twists and whines and cries when she's restrained. Sometimes I can distract her for seconds at a time -but the whole process has become a tiring one. I guess I'll have to learn to change diapers with her on her belly.

She still says dada and mama among other words/sounds. I really think that she understands that Kyle is dada - although she still says it to other things too, like blocks - but, more often than not when he comes in the room, she says "dada!" I mostly get "mama" when she's crying. lol. I guess we're hardwired to cry to mom, huh?

All in all, she's just amazing. I thought about writing her a letter for this post, but I couldn't figure out what I wanted to say when I thought about it in a blog. So, I wrote her a letter on paper and I think that was easier for me. Perhaps I'll post it later - since this really is like her baby book. But, I just want to say that 9 months of Abby has been great and has only gotten better everyday. I'm starting to feel like a real mom, and I like it! I can't wait to see what the next month brings.

We love you Abigail


PS: Here are her growth charts. 50th %tile for both weight and height. Good job girl. :)



No comments:

background

counter