Wednesday, November 12, 2008

BHS surprise

Today started out ok.  

I had to drive down to the office (about 30 mins away) to get some things I needed before heading back to the high school.  Then, there's this  kid I really really needed to test today (well, I've really needed to test him the past 7 times I've tried to find him - but attendance is, shall we say, a bit of a challange?) Color me surprised when he wasn't here again today.  Sigh. 

Then, I remember that today is an early out day - which means 1) I have even less time to do the testing I need to get done and 2) I have to go to a sped meeting at 1pm about the new specific learning disability regs for the state.  Because I'm a nerd - I was actually kinda excited about the meeting because I think the changes they're putting in place are really good.  But, because I'm starting to get a little busy - I was hoping to spend my meeting time writing reports.  

Anyway, the bell rings, the kids leave and I head to the meeting room.  I'm 5 mins late and still the first one there.  Typical.  I sit down and a few others trickle in.  And then the rest of the teachers come in wheeling a tv cart full of goodies.  


Surprise!

Several of the SPED teachers and staff came in with cake, drinks, and gifts.  In true spirit of our department - everyone was excited and sweet - and already late for their next meeting, so it was a very efficient shower. :-)  

I was surprised, of course.  I think I was more surprised by the amount of participation.  I really love working at Brighton High.  I think they have some incredible staff.  And while I like to think that I get along with everyone - I didn't expect them to go through the trouble of a shower.  I mean, I guess I kinda expected a card or something signed by everyone (which they did as well - with a very generous donation within!)  It really made me feel a part of the school in a new way.  I am very grateful.  

Here is me stuffing my face.  That cake was Amazing, by the way.  

And opening gifts.  

So, obviously, after having a surprise shower and being all flustered - my plan to stay late and write reports was shattered by my high energy and desire to skip and run and twirl in circles (don't worry - I didn't)  Instead, I left and went about several errands that I needed to get done.  I got home a few hours later and am making chili to keep us fed on this cool autumn night.  

So, today started out ok.  But, it ended up great!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet of the staff, Laura! You must work with a great group of people. I am so glad they surprised you by honoring our little Abigail in such an unexpected way. MS

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there with you but happy it made your day. :)

Anonymous said...

This is great for you. How many showers does that make altogether now? I am still working on my contribution but it will come, I promise!!

background

counter