Sunday, December 16, 2012

Abby, the four year old.

Saturday was a nice day - it was sunny and relatively warm with the highs in the 40s.  I had pitched the idea to Abby a few days prior about having a photo shoot with just her and me.  She asked, "but what about E?" to which I responded that E could come too if she wanted her to.  Abby added, "No.  I don't want her to come"  

And fair enough.  We don't get one-on-one time.  Any of us.  I can't remember the last time I did something with just Abby beyond playing with her for a while when I let her stay up during nap/quiet time.  And E and I only get one-on-one time in the rare minutes that she wakes up before Abby.  So, you could tell that Abby liked the idea from the get go.  

So we set out to the nearby park and picked out picture location after picture location.  Abby switched with me and took some pictures of me for a while.  After about half an hour, she was getting cold so we took a hot chocolate break.  A few more pictures after that and she wanted to play on the playground.  So, we did that for a while until we were both getting chilly.  We decided to extend our time together with a treat.  Abby picked donuts and we sat in a warm Dunkin and shared chocolate donuts while Abby marvled over and over about how the cashier had given her a donut sticker AND had given one to her bull, Ferdinand.  That detail - about the stickers - was what she would recount about the day to Kyle over and over.  :)  

Abby is a joy.  At four, she's developed a new level of...what's the word, maturity?  Poise? She's more kid than ever before.  She has been telling me for a week now, "I'm big now, so I can do all sorts of grown up things"  

Knock on wood - 4 seems to be the easiest age yet.  Abby really is able to do things herself most of the time, and more importantly, she has an understanding and handle on her emotions.  She's never been an overly difficult child where tantrums and such are concerned - but she just seems to process things with more understanding now.  If she's told "no" to something, she may pout - but she doesn't typically do much else.  If she does talk back or anything, a quick reminder about manners sets her back on track.  

Overall, Abby is a kind girl.  Thoughtful and affectionate.  So loving.  Creative, smart, and funny.  She is everything I ever wanted my little girl to be.  She is the best big sister to Elizabeth.  Their spats are short and few.  They play together - and entertain each other and they just love each other so much.  This age, for both of them, has proven to be so much fun.  I'm really enjoying it - and I already know that this will be one of those periods of time that I eventually look back on fondly.

I'm the luckiest lady in the world to be this little one's mom.  







No comments:

background

counter