Friday, May 2, 2008

back to human

Despite my intrinsic skepticism...it seems that these antibiotics I'm on actually work.  I know...big surprise.  I think I can pinpoint the moment in life when I started disliking medicine....it was the last time that I had prescription drugs, in 9th grade.  I was really sick.  I didn't leave my bed for 3 or 4 days if I remember right and couldn't eat much at all.  The doctor gave me these horse pills...which I thought was a bad choice since 1) my throat was almost swollen shut and 2) I had never been able to take pills.  I couldn't swallow them, so my dad broke them open and mixed them with apple sauce, which really just made the apple sauce taste like manure.  It's vivid in my memory.  Eventually, the doctor had to give me medicine though a shot (the only thing I hated worse than pills were needles).  Obviously, I eventually recovered.  I emerged from sickness wanting only a whopper from burger king, which my family rushed to get.  I took one bite and fell asleep...my dog stole the rest, which was a whole other ordeal.  

Anyway, I think that's when I started hating medicine.  I just always thought that I could get better eating and drinking the right things and getting rest. I thought I was making my immune system that much stronger every time it had to win the fight on its own.  When things got really bad, I'd give in to some Nyquil or something...but not often.  I took my first pill when I was 18.  It was little bitty and I swore that it would not affect me....of course, that little sudafed knocked me out pretty good...so I should have learned then. 

So, maybe I was wrong.  I guess even antibiotics have their purpose.  Oh, and can I just interject that having really good health care is completely new to me and I'm a big fan.  One of the perks about being a Boston employee.  I'm really glad that I'm feeling better now.  Although still not back up to 100%...I'm nearing 80%....and it's fabulous.  I feel human again.  Again, thanks for all the well wishes for me and Kyle both!

No comments:

background

counter