Friday, May 16, 2008

Nerds

My sister once told me that she knew she liked Kyle when, after talking about some nerdy interest, Kyle said, "It's ok, everybody is a nerd about something"  I think he's probably right.  And for Kyle, it's Apple.  Not the fruit.  The computer company.  

Anybody who knows him, knows that Kyle can convince most people that a mac is the way to go.  And for those of you who have been so convinced...he was right, huh?  ;-)  He convinced me, and I would never change it.  Which brings me to my first observation.  Apple has somehow managed to create products that somehow instill a fierce loyalty in (most) of their customers.  People get excited about being "part of the family" when they get their first macbook or ipod.  There is something fun about it.  Maybe it's just because....well, I'm not sure why it is.  

So, when Apple decided to open it's biggest retail store in America here in Boston, Kyle knew all about it from day 1.  Every few months he'd mention it....update me on the progress.  He'd say things like, "I read that the Apple store is going to be 3 stories now"  or "They're recollecting rainwater from the roof to grow a greenroof garden on top"  I never minded the updates.  It makes me happy that he keeps up with things like that. 

We walked by the store about a week ago to see the big board covering the store...it was made to look like the "green monstah" at Fenway and announced that it would be opening soon.  Exciting, right?  Well, yesterday was opening day.  Of course we had to go. A friend decided to join us as well (he's still considering buying his first mac)  

So, we go.  There is a line several blocks long.  People in really nerdy computer shirts...and normal people too.  They passed out free organic juices and magazines.  There were at least 7  news crews there, and a helicopter that captured the coverage from above.  5 mins before the store opened, ALL the staff ran out of the store and gave high fives to everyone in line.  They were running, screaming, cheering, jumping.  I mean, you can't help but feel a little excited, right?  The store opened and about 45 mins later we got to go in too.  The store was pretty cool. The big glass spiral staircase in the middle is a nice feature, and the glass front of the store is impressive.  

Long story short, we got in, we got our free t-shirt and looked at all the gadgets, and went home.  Why did we spend several hours just to see a computer store open?  I dunno, I guess because we're nerds.  But, it was fun.  At one point in line, a man walks up to us and asks, "Excuse me, do you know what's going on here?"  So we told him we were here for the opening of the store.  He says, "Really.  Everyone is here for the store?...well, that's interesting"  We laughed as he walked off...he's obviously never owned one.  ;-)

Anyway, here are a few pics from the afternoon.  

No comments:

background

counter