Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day


Mother's Day.  It has always been a time for me to reflect upon my own Mother.  For those of you who know her, you know she is the most loving, selfless, caring person on earth (who encourages kids to play in the mud and practices Cherokee in her spare time).  For those of you who don't know her...your loss.  My siblings and I all love our mother so very dearly, and Mother's Day has always been a time for us to let her know...be it with macaroni necklaces, finger painted pictures, breakfast in bed (peanut butter and oranges anyone?) or with gifts from afar as we're all grown up and spread out these days.  And nobody is better at making a macaroni necklace seem like the crown jewels of England or a overly messy breakfast seem like the finest cuisine than my mother. 

This year, my parents sent me a Mother's Day gift.  Weird, huh?  I got a really beautiful picture of a mother holding a baby's hand...the one posted above, actually.  It's one of those national geographic pics that always make you appreciate humanity.  It's nice, and I can imagine it perfectly in a dark wood frame hanging in a nursery....if we are ever so lucky to have an apartment with more than one room.  :-)  My sister also sent me that "What to Expect" book...which is chock full of useful tidbits of info.  Kyle decided to go with a copy of Juno...which is a great movie, even the second time around.  All this was great, but also, I found, pretty unexpected....

I mean, I guess I'm more of a mom now than ever before...but I still kind of feel like people with pets have more "mothering" to do than me.  Me, I just take my vitamins, and sleep.  I guess there really is a little shrimp swimming around in there, but...it's so early, so I forget.  

Anyway, I really did appreciate the sweet thoughts.  And I'm happy to have a mother (and mother-in-law, and grandmother) as superly wonderful as the ones I've got.  I wouldn't trade any of them for the world.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! oh my! you dear heart!

But Laura, a macaroni necklace IS better than the English Crown Jewels. Just you wait. You'll find out.

your Mama

background

counter