Wednesday, January 25, 2012

a compromise


Tuesdays are playgroup day.  Abby loves playgroup.  I came home and was surprised that she was still sleeping when it was time for us to get ready to go.  I went upstairs to wake Abby and get her dressed, and I found her like this.  So sweet. 
She fell asleep reading her new books.  Since it was time to get ready for playgroup,  I decided I would go get Elizabeth ready first and let Abs catch a few more winks, because I just could not disturb such a sweet picture.  

But then,  I found Elizabeth was also out for the count.  With two sleeping beauties, I found that I did not have it  in me to wake either of them.  Especially after such a traumatic morning of the dr. visits, blood draw, and shots.  They needed sleep.  But, Abby was going to be so sad about missing playgroup.  What to do?


Elizabeth woke up first.  We played together while Abby continued to rest.  And I tried to figure out how I was going to explain to her why I did not wake her up for playgroup when I know that 1) she looks forward to it so much and 2) the only reason she even took a nap was because she knew she had to sleep in order to go play with her friends afterwards. 



Abby eventually woke up, and was, as predicted, devastated that she had missed the chance to go see and play and run and romp with her friends this week.  Her bottom lip pouted out, her head hung limp, and her eyes were watering.  She said, "but I took a nap! I did, I promise!" 
I did what any stellar mother would do and told her that I was sorry, that we would go next week, and that we could go get ice cream.
Because ice cream fixes everything, and I figure that's a healthy message to engrain early.

my hipster in training here....getting ready to go


It was bedtime when we LEFT to go get ice cream.  We got caught up in chores, and cooking, and dinner, and talking with my parents, and getting everyone dressed etc.  A promise is a promise though.  I'm sure nobody thought poorly of me bringing in my 3 year old and baby at 7:30pm and feeding them yogurt and sugar (ok, E just had fruit).  Mother of the year right here!

But, y'know what?  
It was fun.  And that yogurt was amazing.  And she wasn't sad anymore.
So, win. 

1 comment:

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

I think this was a total win. especially with that last picture.

background

counter