Tuesday, January 24, 2012

life

All day Saturday, I was making a mental list of the things I wanted to blog about and composing those posts in my head.  And then I blinked and it was Monday.  That's the way things go.

Life moves quickly, huh?

So, this past week was a pretty normal week for us.  Abby, however, got pinkeye from...who knows where.  The poor thing just had goopy red eyes for a while, but they didn't seem to bother her too much.  Just in the mornings, when I would help her clean off all the crusties that had formed overnight.  On Saturday night, she told us that her throat hurt.  Actually, she didn't tell us that.  She just refused to eat dinner, only wanted to read half a book before bed, and then said "I don't think I can say my pwayers tonight.  My mouth hurts."  And then she pointed to her throat.  She woke up Sunday with a rash of some sort all over her.  Poor thing.  We put some cortisone on her and went to church, but she was so so uncomfortable.  We got her to nap, but it was worse after her nap and she was freaking out about it.  Long story short - it's almost gone now and Abby's convinced that lotion is God's gift to little girls.  We're not 100% sure what caused it.  She had a bubble bath with a new soap, so it could be that, or maybe it's part of the pinkeye stuff, or maybe she's allergic to something else.  No way to know for sure.  We're just gonna skip the bubble bath for a while and hope it all goes away.

My sore throat is back, or, more likely, never really went a way.  Kinda not fun, but whatever, I can totally deal with a sore throat.

E had her 9 month appointment this morning.  She's 18lbs, which is about what Abby weighed at 1year...which explains why E is wearing some of Abby's old 12month clothes now. She got a blood draw that didn't go very smoothly, but we all survived, and shots on top of that.  Poor kid had a rough morning.  I'll write more about Elizabeth in a little bit - I want to attempt an actual 9-month post for her.

What else?

Abby has developed a strong(er) desire to help with things...and more specifically, to help with things all by herself.  The difference is that, now, she's actually pretty good at stuff.  This week she helped me put away her laundry by hanging the shirts on hangers - I was impressed that she did it right - and she was pleased as punch.  She only got a little miffed when we had no more clothes, but one more hanger.  She went around searching for something to hang.  She ended up taking off her pants and using those. :)

She's also helped me make dinner every night.  No matter what we're having, she wants to help in some way or another.  She's great at the simple things like pouring liquids, stirring, putting things into the pot or pan.  She just loves it.  We can't put anything into the microwave without her running over "I Want to push the Buttons!!! Me! Let me!"  and if you even think about cracking an egg, you'd better be prepared for assistance.  She's also very good at washing.  She loves to wash strawberries, and she's very good at it. Very thorough.  A few nights ago, she made her own supper.  Strawberries, crackers, and a few wedges of laughing cow cheese (which Abs calls butter).  It wasn't a bad supper actually.  I mean, I was initially a little concerned when she said "I made my supper, stwabewwies and butter"  But  the pride she has when she helps prepare something is so awesome.  Also?  She'll eat more if she helped make it.  She's never been a very picky eater, but she enjoys eating what she's "cooked" for us even more.

It snowed this weekend.  Finally.  We got around 4-6 inches probably, which is like the perfect amount.  Abby LOVES the snow.  She likes winter more than summer.  I don't know where she came from or how that happened, but she gets SO excited about the snow.  So, after it had stopped coming down, we got the girls dressed and we all went outside for a bit.  Abby went outside and flopped down on the snow - belly down- and said "look! I'm swimming in the snow!"  And she was.  Then she buried her face in the snow and came up saying "look!  I have a moose-stash!" And she did.  And did it bother her that there was now snow going down her coat? on her neck? in her nose?  Not a bit.  She flipped over and started making snow angels.  She did laps in the backyard.  Kyle shoveled a big pile of snow at the bottom of her slide and Abby slid down again and again into the pile - burying herself each time.  It made me cringe to watch, but Abby?  She's a winter baby.  The only thing she requires is hot chocolate when she comes in - and that I can do.

K, I gotta get back to work, but I'll update about Elizabeth next.  Have a fab Tuesday.




background

counter