Wednesday, May 2, 2012

thoughts

My best friend planted the seed in my head that I should run a 1/2 marathon with her in November.  It would give me about 6 months to train...which would probably be enough for me to finish the race with a combo of walking and running within a respectable time. I don't know if I could do it logistically, or financially, but I like the idea. It has inspired me to, at least, pretend as if that is my goal.

Last night, as I approached the pivotal moment of deciding whether to change into PJ's or gym clothes - I chose gym clothes.  As I told Kyle - I may very well fall asleep in my gym clothes, but I'm not going to the gym in my PJs.  I put on my shoes, and went to help put the girls to bed.  We came downstairs and I stood at the door to my house.  I looked outside at the cold, rainy weather.  And I looked at the warm inviting couch.  I looked at my tennis shoes on my feet and I looked at my keys hanging on the wall.  Then I sat down and fell asleep on the couch.

So, this is why I'm not sure if I could do the 1/2 marathon.  There is something that happens when I go through the girls' bedtime routines that sucks every ounce of motivation from my bones.  I suppose, 3 plus years of routine has conditioned me to be sleepy too.  I should start a 4pm cup of coffee I think in order to give me that push past 8pm. We'll see.  Wish me luck.  Hopefully caffeine is all I need.

The girls are great.  Super fun ages right now.  Well, Abby is getting a little whiney, but we're nipping that in the bud the best we can and she is starting to really show that she understands the difference between "whiney voices" and "nice voices"  The thing that is hard is when she uses a nice voice and the answer is still "no"  ...cue loud whiney voice.

But really, she's pretty awesome.  Her pretend play is so fun.  She's still very doctor themed at the moment.  Doctors and restaurants anyway. And she likes to dance in her room - and in order to dance, she usually insists on wearing ballet shoes and a tutu.

Abby has this smile that she uses sometimes that I just love.  It's really more of a grin.  It's one she uses when she is really genuinely happy - a content smile.  It's full of love.  I get it at night when I tell her I love her and that she's my best Abby.  She looks at me and gives me this soft genuine grin.  It's one of the best things ever.

Elizabeth is hilarious.  Seriously, she makes me laugh all the time.  It's not like she's trying to be funny - she's just at SUCH a fun age where she's learning and exploring and developing her personality exponentially every day.  She's starting to walk more on her own.  Still, every time she stands on her own she lets out this tarzan-esque triumphant yell to alert us to her accomplishment.  She's learning to nod and shake her head appropriately.  Yesterday, she was hitting the (glass) tv stand with something and I said "Elizabeth.  No"  And shook my head.  She looked over her shoulder at me, grinned, and awkwardly nodded "YES" twice and then continued to hit the stand.  It was way too cute. I went and took her weapon away all the while laughing and telling her how cute she was.  Mixed messages?  Not at all.

Abby and I planted flowers, cucumbers and tomato plants.  They all sprouted.  1/2 the flowers have now died, about 1/2 the tomato plants are gone...but the cucumbers are doing well.  Until I dropped a shoe on the pallet and snapped 1/2 of them, anyway.  I need to transfer them to real pots so they can thrive - but it's cold still outside and I'm procrastinating.  My apologies Abby - your green thumb is being thwarted by my laziness.

I'm snacking on mixed nuts right now....they should take out Brazil nuts and replace them with more roasted pecans.  They should also take out 1/2 the peanuts and replace them with cashews.  The almond and macadamia ratio is fine. Does anybody really like Brazil nuts?  Definitely not enough pecans in here.

On a related note - I got a new water bottle and I really love it.  You know how you keep trying to find one you like and they don't really work - but then you find THE ONE?  I think I found my one.  I already broke the clip off, Of course, but that's fine.  I really like it.  It's metal and purple and has a whimsical feather design and it has a straw that is squishy so I can chew on it, but not destroy it.  And, I'm drinking more water because of it.  Which is why I'm eating mixed nuts anyway - they make me thirsty.

There are, technically, something like 34 days of school left - but I plan to be pretty well wrapped up in about 28 days.  Either way - June 20th cannot get here soon enough.

I'm excited that spring is here/getting here.  Picture season is starting up - and after a winter where I hardly took any pictures - I'm pleased that I've managed to book 4 or 5 shoots in the next 6 weeks or so.    I really enjoy doing it, and it's a great way to practice and continue to learn.  I'm ready to dive back into the swing of things.  I'm hoping I can take some more classes this year, too.

Ok.  So, if you're wondering, No - you absolutely do not have to have anything to talk about to write a blog post.  Case in Point.  Here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you blog bost - they make my day. Sure is good to hear about all of you.

Granny

*Jen* said...

Brazil nuts are the worst.
Good luck on the training !!

background

counter