Monday, November 12, 2012

1/2 marathons

Sometime earlier this year - or maybe it was even last year, I can't remember - Billie Jo told me that she wanted to run a 1/2 marathon in order to celebrate turning 30.  Our birthdays are only 3 days apart, so she suggested I run it with her.  We trained together  - long distance style - for most of this year.  We sent each other screen shots of our runs/times/distances.  We sent encouraging words and kept each other accountable.  I've tried running a few times in my life - and even done ok once or twice - but this was the first time that I felt like I got decent at it - and more importantly, really liked it.

Running 5 miles was a huge deal for me.  And then I ran 6.  And I kept adding miles and kept getting stronger.  Billie Jo and I tried to adhere to a similar training schedule, so it was nice to have that push, too.

I ran up until school started in September.  I'm not a fan of excuses, but I just couldn't / didn't find a way to keep up my schedule.  I'd not anticipated 1) how tired going back to school was going to make me and 2) how much time it took to run.  Add into that colder temperatures, shorter days, and daylight saving time which rendered 4pm nearly too dark to run - and I just didn't keep up.  With that in mind, and looming financial shortcomings - I had to back out of traveling to San Antonio to run with Billie Jo.

I was pretty upset by this.  For a lot of reasons.

Now, while I was planning to fly to Texas, Kyle had been training with me to run a 1/2 marathon here in Newton.  Once I decided I couldn't head south - I tried to register for the one here...that literally runs by our street. But, it was sold out.  I even asked about a waiting list or paying extra.  No dice.

So.

All that is to say that this past Sunday - Billie Jo ran her 1/2 marathon in San Antonio and Kyle ran one here in Newton.  And I - watched from the sidelines.  There is definitely a big part of me that feels like  a failure for not being out there too.  And a little part of me that knows I wasn't ready anyway.  It just kinda sucks to have worked all spring and summer with this one goal in mind - just to watch it pass you by.

But, my own shortcomings aside - I am immensely proud of both Billie Jo and Kyle who both completely rocked their courses.  I should mention that Kyle has also not been training very regularly lately...so it makes him a little extra sickening that he was able to run the 1/2 so well.  I'm very very proud of them both.

I'm going to try to get back into it a little.  I'll have to settle for a treadmill now that it's cold and dark all the time...which, I think, will make things less fun.  But, maybe, with any luck, it'll keep me 1/2 conditioned so that I can hit the pavement again next year.

Again - thank you to Billie Jo for pushing me to do things I didn't think I could do and to Kyle for always being my running parter (and stroller pusher!).  Love you both, and I'm very much looking forward to the next race we can all do together.

Here are a few pics of Kyle after his race.


this course is known for it's pretty intense hills through miles 6-8



2 comments:

Billie Jo said...

It really meant a lot for me to have my long distance training partner...and next time I sign up for the half you are signing up with me. No excuses. ;-) You made it ten miles and were leaving me in the dust training, so you should be very proud of that.

Looking forward to doing one with you! Thanks for your support.

Anonymous said...

I proud of you Kyle. Laura I'm proud of your work! You will be there next year!


granny

background

counter