Saturday, March 30, 2013

bunk beds and spring

I think today is the first day that we've gotten into the 50s this year.  It is a beautiful day.  The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the birds are singing - and it's Saturday.  There is so much to love.  For reasons I haven't been able to figure out - this winter was particularly hard on me.  And really, not even the whole winter - but the past 6 weeks or so have been blah.  So, this?  This sunshine?  It is soul-nourishing.

I'm such a solar powered person.  I'm up with the sun and I fade fast after it's down.  As I stood outside today, with my face towards the sky - I felt like a little battery who had been lost in the couch cushions, but found, and placed back on the charger.

Kyle and I took the girls out for a walk - the first family walk of the year.  We got starbucks, then walked around the lake.  We stopped for a snack picnic lunch and illegally fed the geese and ducks a few crackers.  Well, E threw her entire sandwhich into the water before we could stop her.  There is something about watching geese eat turkey that is just wrong.

Both girls fell asleep in the stroller on the way home.  They are not used to that much physical activity and sunshine.  It's gonna take some practice to get their endurance back up.

We came home and Kyle whisked E away for her nap - this is day 2 of her napping in her big girl bed - the bottom bunk of the new bunk bed set.  We've had the beds up for a week and Abby has loved sleeping on top.  Yesterday was day 1 of moving E over.  We put her down for nap yesterday and I listened by the monitor for signs that she was getting out of bed.  I think she slept, I'm pretty sure she did.  She was quiet for about an hour and then I heard the faintest noise on the monitor.  Then, I heard a door close upstairs. I asked Kyle if he heard E and his response was, "Well, somebody has been playing harmonica up there..."  lol  E had snuck out of bed without me hearing her, and once she was out of her room, she was playing in all the other rooms.  But, I still think she slept a little.

Last night was E's first attempt at the big girl bed for overnight.  Overall, it went pretty well. We put them to bed and I listened on the monitor as the girls said goodnight to each other 100 million times.  Then, Abby got out of bed in order to tend to E.  She re-tucked her, traded animals, asked her if she wanted a story, (ironically) reminded her the rules about staying in bed, etc.  They were both chatty and After about 20 mins, E got out of bed and I intercepted her in the hall.

Back to bed.

I sat in the room with them for about 20 mins or so until I was sure they were both asleep.  The moment I closed the door, E shouts "NIGHT NIGHT MOM!"  The little thing had been perfectly still the entire time I was sitting in the room....just playing possum.  After I left, E tried talking to Abby some more - but Abs was out.  So, it didn't take too long for E to follow suit. All in all, I think they were both asleep by 8:30.  They both slept all night and E didn't get out.  Then they woke up at 5am.  Normally, either of them would have fallen back asleep - but the excitement of a new room and a new roomate made that impossible.  By 5:20, Abby was telling me that "Mom, E just won't stop playing, even though the 6 hasn't come yet"  That's our rule - you stay in bed until the 6.

Well, they weren't going back to sleep, so I sat in their room and let them play, and when 6am rolled around, I released them downstairs.

So - night 1 - not so bad.

I spent most of this morning relocating all of E's clothes into Abby's room, sorting through old baby clothes to decide what to keep and what to get rid of...this nice sunny day has me in the mood for spring cleaning I think.  Oh, and Easter is tomorrow...no better time for a clean house and new beginnings than Easter. :)

Speaking of which  - I should start prepping for that too.  I'll upload some phone pics in a sec.


No comments:

background

counter