Monday, March 25, 2013

the girls

Abby was sick on Wed night and Thursday.  Poor thing.  I haven't seen her that lethargic in a really long time.  She threw up all night and just stayed on the couch most of the day.  Luckily, things were pretty short lived and by Thursday evening, she was playing some.  I, in turn, started to feel bad on Thursday afternoon and was sick on Friday.  No fun.  Again though, I'll be thankful that I was feeling better by the weekend.

I managed to get the girls' bunk beds put up on Saturday.  It wasn't a complicated process, but it took several hours to finish. I was sad to see Abby's bed go - I really like her bed.  When it was time for Abby to move out of the crib, I searched and searched for months for a dark wooden bed with character for her.  When I finally found hers, I was so pleased.  It came from a woman who bought and resold furniture from estate sales.  I wish I knew the history behind the bed, but I was happy just knowing that it had a history at all.

But, I had to take it down and replace it with a brand new out of the box bed from wal-mart of all places.

I would have loved to get her a "cool" bed.  One with a slide or a tent or with beautiful spindle posts.  But - her room is small and my budget is smaller.  So, we went with something that looks nice enough and seems sturdy.

Abby is over the moon about it.  It is still very new and fun for her.  We haven't moved E into the room yet - but probably will in the next week or so.  Last night E asked me if she could sleep in it.  "I sweep in babby's room?  In babby's bed? I sweep in buck-bed?  Pwease?"  It was too cute.  I think E will do fine with the transition, but I'm bracing myself in case it takes longer than anticipated.

a few things not to forget...

The other morning, I went in to get E out of the crib and she was laying on her back.  As I leaned over the rail, she stuck her arm straight up as if to shake my hand.  When I took her hand she said, "peace, mom"  Just like when we shake hands and say peace in church.  Made me laugh.

E has the most cheerful "no thanks" ever.  And she says it for everything.
Me: "Hey E, put on your boots"
E: "Ummmmmm......No thanks! :) "

Somebody once told me that some study found that kids officially lose their "cuteness" at age 4.5.  That is when they start becoming kids....according to this study.  As Abby approaches that mark, I find myself noticing changes in her too.  I still think she's awfully cute, of course - but there is no denying that she is changing.  She is less and less toddler and more big kid.  Her face continues to lose it's roundness and her legs are getting longer.  Her mannerisms and language are so grown up sometimes....and yet so young too.

She is SO good with Elizabeth.  So so so so so so good.  In fact, I'm certain E sees Abby as much as an authority figure in some ways as she does me or Kyle.  She goes to Abby for help, she follows Abby's directions.  When I need help convincing E that it really IS time to go to bed - Abby is always right there to help me in the way only a sister can.

The other day, Abby put E down for naptime.  I was working on the bunk bed and we were running behind schedule.  On her own, Abby took E into E's room, helped her change clothes, put a pillow on the floor and had E lay down.  She covered E with a blanket (and put earphones on her, lol) and gave her several stuffed animals to hold.  And while E was laying on the floor all snuggled up - Abby sat in the glider and read her stories.  I came in and was amused.  I put E into the crib - but Abby asked if she could "PLEASE" just read E one more story and sing her one more lullaby.  So, I said ok.  Abby "read" her a book, sang her a song, said goodnight, and closed the door.  Then came to tell me that E was napping now.

Such the little mommy.

Time flies, huh?

There are more little things I want to document, but I need to get on to the next thing for right now.  I'll try to get some real pictures up of the new beds sometime.

No comments:

background

counter