Monday, September 22, 2008

Autumn

I was taught the seasons of the year just like anybody else.  But, growing up in Arkansas always put a little kink in the way the weather was supposed to work.  Summer was hot, and then a month or so after fall started, it would get cool.  A few weeks later you might have another random week of summer (I remember once wearing shorts on my birthday in mid November)  Then winter came.  Sometimes you noticed, sometimes it just slipped on by and melted into spring.  We usually got at least a few weeks of complain-worthy coldness.  Spring meant pollen and when the pollen was washed away and the rain turned into humidity -  it was summer again.  

Well, New England is different.  

Up here, the seasons work like they're supposed to work....the way you learn about in grade school.  And not only that, it's like clockwork!   Kyle and I remember observing the uncanny and abrupt end to summer last year.  The day after labor day, the temperature dropped 10 degrees.  It's like the mayor has a thermostat.  The first leaf fell on the first day of autumn.  The first snow flurries were right after Thanksgiving...etc.  

Yesterday was a beautiful day.  It wasn't too hot, not too cold.  Sunny.  Today, the first day of fall, was....well, I can't say cold because I know what's coming, but chilly.  It was overcast all day, windy and brisk.  Like clockwork.  Kyle and I have had our air turned off for over a week now.  We just keep the windows and patio door open all the time.  It keeps things airy and cool, and saves us a little money on the electricity front.  It's one of the perks of living up here - you really can use your windows to regulate the temp in your home.  

Anyway, I just wanted to share.  Pretty soon the leaves will begin to turn colors and the fall season will be in full swing.  I love the changing of the seasons.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love for it to be like that out here in California... only I can't stand the snow, so if I could get two seasons of autumn that would be spiffy!
:)

-Jessica from Proboards

jennybee said...

Will enjoy the change of the seasons vicariously through you for now. Still balmy September weather here in Arkansas. Less hot than the last three months were here, but a far cry from sweater weather.

background

counter