Wednesday, September 10, 2008

justification

One of the things I love about Kyle is his responsibility.  He does a great job with organizing our financial affairs, keeping track of our schedules, and making sure we do all the things we need to do for this and that.

However, one of the other things I love about Kyle is that he and I can justify just about anything.

For instance, we bought our big TV in '06 " so Kyle could see" the World Cup matches.  We bought a new car " so we could fit" a stroller and other baby gear in it.  We've taken dozens of trips all over the country for very good reasons, attended sporting events, theaters, and all sorts of fun things that we probably didn't *need* to do, but did nonetheless...and always with a very good justification.  

So, tonight I had a bowl of soup around 6pm.  This meant that around 9:30, I was super ravenously hungry again.  We have food in the house...I just didn't feel like making it.  Kyle mentioned ordering food, but I felt guilty about spending the money.  I couldn't just order pizza and wings when I had food in the kitchen that would fill me up just as well...I needed a reason.  

About the time I'm racking my brain to come up with something, Kyle remembers that the US Soccer team is playing tonight.  The rest goes like this:

Kyle: Hey, the US is playing tonight!  Do you want to order some wings?
Me: We have food here, we shouldn't spend the money.
Kyle: Yeah, you're right...but you can if you want.  I mean, it's soccer, and it's exciting...
Me: I need a better reason.
Kyle: Hmmm.  Let's see... (much thinking)
Me: Got anything?
Kyle: Tomorrow is 9/11?
Me: Perfect. 

I'm now enjoying my anti-terrorist 9/11 pizza while Kyle enjoys his freedom-filled chipotle wings.  Life is grand. 

Oh, and the US is winning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let freedom "wing" :^)

background

counter