Friday, December 12, 2008

Abigail Katherine Shachmut

Hello to all! I apologize for the late update. It's obviously been a very busy and tiring day for all of us. But, without further ado, let me announce that

Abigail Katherine Shachmut was born this morning at 5:56am. She weighed in at 7lbs 1.5oz. and is 20 inches long. She is happy and healthy and we are all doing well.

Kyle and I got to the hospital yesterday around 2pm. We hung around and waited on my labor to progress. I was at 2cm when we checked in, but by 8pm that night i was still not having regular contractions. So, the started me on pitocin to help move things along. We were very happy that my doctor was the one on call last night. Good timing. Things started moving and at a around 1am I decided to take the epidural. Yes, I felt bad that the pain was getting to me - but really, it was more that I was just exhausted and was having trouble staying awake between contractions. Either way, the epi man is my new bff. I got the epidural at 2am and fell asleep.

We were told that we should expect to progress around 1cm an hour. I was at 3 when I got the epidural and 3 hours later, we were ready to push. 45 mins of pushing and we had a daughter. Her cord was wrapped tight around her neck, so the doctor had to cut it. I think Kyle was looking forward to that part, but obviously, we were happy to let the doctor take care of it.  Abigail let out a few little noises and spent the next hour in the room with us. She was completely alert, but silent. Just taking everything in with her eyes.

I've been wondering how I would be during this whole process. How would I react? Well, there were times that I was very proud of my pain tolerance and times when I was crying and telling the doctor that I had nothing left. When she came out, I cried. No, I sobbed. I was overwhelmed with more emotion than my body could physically handle. I was also exhausted.

Kyle was so wonderful. He did everything he was supposed to. He let me squeeze his hand, he rubbed my back, he spoke to me and encouraged me. He made sure that the nurses and doctors got me everything I needed. He was perfect. I cried again when I saw him hold Abigail for the first time. He looked so happy. He looked so perfect with her and she was just staring at him. I think she looks like him.

After delivery, we spent a few hours in that room resting. Kyle and I both completely crashed for about an hour. Then we were moved to our recovery room - where I am now. We've spent the day learning what we can from the hospital staff, who have been great, having visitors, and spending lots of time with our new baby. I'm very happy that Kyra was able to be here for this. Karen also came and spent the night at the hospital. It was nice to have some family and friends around. Thank you to everyone who has sent texts, phonecalls, e'mails, messages, facebook pokes...we have read them all and thank you truly. I have been too tired today to do much phoning myself, but we'll get there.

We will go home Sunday morning. I'm so excited to bring her home. I'm eager to get to know her, to watch her and to learn her ways. I know every mother in time says the same thing, so I won't break the tradition, but Abigail really is perfect. She's beautiful, alert, calm, so tiny, and perfect.

Here's to the day my world changed forever.


Here are some pictures of our journey.

Kyle and I had fun waiting on my labor to progress.

Kyle, conducting the contractions. :)

Nothing makes somebody look bigger than a hospital gown.  


Moments after birth. 


Alert and curious

watching daddy

daddy's girl


Taking it all in.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh perfect, perfect, perfect! i love the photos and words---oh, congrats! :^)

Anonymous said...

We have been walking on air all day! Have you ever seen such a beautiful baby?? We are not prejudiced at all!! Welcome to the family, precious Abigail........and congratulations to the wonderful parents who brought you to us. Be sure and rest up while you can and enjoy the bonding process. Love ya..........Ouma

Anonymous said...

She's precious, precious!!! She is 7 pounds 1&1/2 ounces of pure magic who has already created so much gratitude in me that it is going to take the rest of my life to express it. Thank You God! Thank you Laura and Kyle! Thank you for the rest of our families and friends for sharing in this most stupendous of joys!

Granny in love

Cari said...

YEAH! Congrats! Way to go girl. I can't wait to hear about your journey and see pictures. Get some rest and enjoy time with your new family!! -Cari

Lauren McKnight said...

Dear Abigail,
Welcome to the world! You have great parents, but you already know that. I don't know your dad, but I feel like I do because of your mom's blogs. You are going to have such a happy, fun, loving life. We are so happy that you are finally here.

Love,
Lauren and Neil McKnight

background

counter