Wednesday, November 2, 2011

just to remember

Sometimes, the most mundane of moments burns an impression on my brain and I know I'll remember that moment forever.  But, just in case, I want to write it down too.

Last Sunday, we were at church.  As we settled in and the service started, I pulled out Abby's coloring book and a small ziplock of crayons.  She happily stood and used the pew as a table to color on.

There is nothing particularly special about this moment, but I looked down at her and her hair was falling softly out of her ponytail and across her face.  She was concentrating hard trying to color just the numbers on this particular page.  Everything about her, in that moment, made me so proud to be her mom.  Again, not for any special reason - it just washed over me.

As if on cue, she looked up at me and just smiled.  I smiled back and kissed the top of her head while she flipped pages to find one with Mickey on it.  I just watched her color for a moment longer - my little lefty with her head slightly tilted to the side and her tongue peeking out while she worked her hardest to color Mickey's nose purple - and it all just made me happy.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth is snuggled in her carseat on my other side.  She's staring, unblinking, at the church ceiling, taking in the ornate decorations and colors, the shapes, the music - all of it.  Wide eyed and learning.  When she was done exploring the top of the church, she started looking around for something else to entertain her.  I locked eyes with her serious little face and we stared at each other for about 4 seconds until she broke out into this huge gummy grin and I laughed (quietly) and tickled her foot.

So, I don't know why, but that small chain of events just stuck with me.  I felt so content and happy and proud to have my girls on either side of me.  It was a good feeling.  I'm pretty fond of them both and how lucky am I to get to see them every day?  Pa-reety lucky me thinks.

3 comments:

jennybee said...

Yay for happy quiet moments. Nothing mundane about those--they're some of the most special kind.

Linda said...

I will remember this too. I have mundane moments of you with a certain expression that I still remember. This is so special. You and Kyle and the girls are all lucky to have each other.

Granny

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

I really, really love those moments, when everything is just quiet and perfect and awesome.

background

counter