Wednesday, June 13, 2012

morning rain

I knew it was going to rain today.  I felt bad that I wouldn't have time to take Kyle to work and that he'd have to walk.  I know he doesn't mind doing it, but I like to give him a ride on rainy days when I can.  I got dressed and went downstairs to grab my bag and go.

I got downstairs and there was something about how the morning light was coming through the windows.  I dunno.  It was raining, but not bad rain - just a calming steady rain so the light coming in was soft and grey.  It was really pretty in a weird way.  The raindrops on the window were making raindrop shadows on my kitchen counter and I thought about trying to take a picture of it.  Instead, I just stood there and watched the water run down the windows and watched the shadows on my counter shimmy around.  It made me happy, relaxed maybe.

So, I decided that I would break the rules and go to work a little late.  I decided I would surprise the girls with breakfast.  I mean, they always eat breakfast, but I don't usually get to make it.  So I set about to making apple cinnamon muffins.  I decided to cook up some breakfast sausages as well.  The sausages got a little smokey, so I opened our back door to clear the air.  And it was so nice.  I left the door open while I cooked and just enjoyed hearing and seeing the rain fall.  It's such a peaceful noise - everything was quiet.  The only sounds I could hear were the pitter-patter rain drops and the sizzling sausage.  Every once in a while a mild breeze would drift inside.  Perfect.  There's something about that kind of morning quiet that makes you pause and reflect and slow down.  I stood there turning the sausages and thinking about all the things I'm thankful for.  Then I put on some coffee for good measure.  This moment begged for coffee.  Then I was on a roll.  I took out the trash, I put dinner in the crock pot, I tidied up.  I cut fruit and poured milk and got the girl's breakfast on the table.

Kyle and the girls eventually came downstairs and were surprised I was still there.  Abby and E were excited about their "special" breakfast.  Abby was most impressed that I put her ketchup in the shape of an "A" on her plate.  It's the little things. We all sat around together and had breakfast and talked and laughed.

When was the last time we all sat down for breakfast together?  It's not even in my memory.  It was nice.

But alas, work.  I dropped Kyle off at BC and made my way to the school.  Now I'm here, with my coffee.  I have 3 reports to write today and then I am, essentially, done for the year.  I still have meetings and a TON of paperwork to sort through - but my testing and report writing duties will be finished.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel ( /week).

I probably shouldn't have come to work late, but I have a feeling that I'll never regret spending this quiet rainy morning with my family, either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a Lovely post and I felt like I was there. If I could, I'd make an 'L' of ketchup for you.

Granny

jennybee said...

I love this post.

background

counter