Friday, December 19, 2008

1 week

I woke up this morning at 5:54am.  I waited 2 mins and then leaned over Abigail and whispered "happy birthday baby"  

I can not believe she's a week old.  Yes, I know a week isn't really that long, but for some reason, it seems like a big milestone in our little story of a life here.  One week ago, I was in the hospital.  I was squeezing Kyle's hand, breathing, I was looking at our daughter for the first time, I was crying - happy tears.  

A week and a half ago, I was anxiously waiting for some sign of labor.  I was baking massive amounts of cookies and walking, watching Kyra play wii, going out about the city, packing my hospital bag - just in case.  

2 weeks ago?  I can't remember 2 weeks ago.  It already seems like this child has been here forever.  I love it.  I love every second of it.  Even when she's screaming at me.  Even when she wants to be fed again after an hour of nursing, even when I'm up at 3am changing a diaper - I love it.  

When she was born, while she was perfect and wonderful, she was a stranger.  Over the past week, I feel like I'm getting to know her.  I'm bonding with her.  It's been good.  When she's done eating, she falls asleep.  Every time.  She curls up and her little hand grabs my finger and she falls asleep.  She gives little breathy sighs that melt me.  It is the definition of peaceful.  When she's like this, sometimes I cry because she's so perfect and everything seems to be just as it should be.  She knows I'm safe and she knows I'm here to take care of her.  It's my purpose now, my reason for being.  

So, happy one week Abby.  Your dad and I are loving you more everyday.  

This morning, we had a little photo shoot.  She was a great sport and we got some really great pictures.  However, I'm not releasing those to the masses just yet.  After Christmas.  :)  But, I couldn't help but post a few of the random shots we took in between poses.  Enjoy.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now THAT'S what i'm talking about!! You all are doing so well with the bonding thing. Abigail seems like a perfect baby.....of course! Can't wait for Tuesday! Ouma

Anonymous said...

She is so lovely! If she can melt my heart this much while in Boston, what's she going to do to me in person?

Granny in Love

background

counter