Monday, December 15, 2008

my little yellow baby.

We took Abigail to the pediatrician this afternoon for her jaundice check up.  

The doc just called and said that her bloodwork came back fine.  Her levels are still high, but "not too high"  So, that's good.  We go back again tomorrow.  She weighed in at 6lbs 12 oz - which is normal.  

So, I told myself that when Abigail has to get shots and such that I would be cool as a cucumber.  They're for her own good and it's ok to let her cry.  So, today, when they told us they needed to draw blood from her heel again to run more tests, I was not at all concerned.  

So, Kyle is holding her, and the lab tech comes in and clips her little heel and starts trying to squeeze blood out into a little vile.  Abigail does not like to bleed.  Not as in she doesn't prefer it - but as in she doesn't produce a lot of blood.  So, the tech had to squeeze out one little drop at a time while Abigail cried - no screamed the whole time.  I was completely fine.  

Then, the tech said that the blood was clotting and she'd have to do another clip and try again.  I said "ok, that's fine"  So, she clipped her heel again and started the process over.  That's when it started to bother me.  Something in me wanted to help her.  Kyle was holding her and he was sweating.  Then, as she continued to scream the most horrendous scream, she took both her hands and covered her eyes and then slid them down to her cheeks and pulled on her face....and it was then that I had to act. I was at her side in a nanosecond.

I went to her and stroked her and spoke to her and I let her suck on my pinky finger to pacify her.  She liked that, but continued to scream and I just look at her and held back the tears.  I did not like the lab tech anymore.  Even though I knew I was being illogical - I didn't like her, and I wanted her to leave my baby alone.  The tech eventually gave up and said she would try to get the test done with what she had.  

I couldn't wait to hold Abigail.  She continued to cry as we dressed her, and as we put her in her carseat.  But, by the time we were walking out the exam room, she was asleep.  Completely exhausted from screaming for a good 15 mins.  

Oh, motherhood - what surprises you have in store.  

We've had a low key evening since then.  Kyle is currently sleeping in his chair with his baby curled up on his chest.  I should take a picture, but it's too dark.  I got some good cleaning done and we even managed to catch up on some tv.  Here's hoping to a smooth night.  

2 comments:

Ben and Bethany said...

cleaning? really??? daaaang girl!

the crying doesnt get better...seriously. At least it hasn't for me.

jennybee said...

I'm impressed you were able to make it through the first round of heel bleeding. That maternal instinct is a powerful thing. Rationality doesn't have much of a chance against it.

Glad she's okay!

background

counter