Friday, November 7, 2008

dear abby

Dear Abby, 

It's Friday night, around 6pm.  Your dad is asleep (he was up really late last night) and I am sitting in your nursery thinking about things.  Thinking about you.  

I like sitting in your nursery.  We got this glider that I think you'll like.  I sit in it for a little while everyday and rock you - even though you're still on the inside.  It seems to calm you when you're being restless in there.  From my chair, I can see your crib and I like looking at the bedding and imagining you in it.  Your dad and I bought you a new lamp too - hope you like it.  I made a mobile for you, and it's hanging here waiting for your opinion as well.  There are a lot of things we want to show you.  

We can't wait to meet you.  

We're still working on your middle name.  Your dad and I have been going back and forth on several options.  Sometimes he leans in and tries to ask you which one you like better.  So far, you haven't given us any clear sign - so, we're doing the best we can.  But don't worry - we'll have one by the time you get here.  

As I sit here and type this - I know that I don't have many more nights like this left.  Nights where I have nothing to do, nights where the only sound I can hear is my own typing, nights where I have no agenda and no schedule, nights where I can go to bed at 6pm if I want to, or stay up all night watching movies and eating brownies.  Part of me wants to cherish these nights- these very quiet moments with nothing going on.  However, the closer you come to arriving, the more time I spend thinking that I'd rather be sitting here in the glider with you.  I'd rather be spending my time tonight feeding you, bathing you, changing you, watching you.  I'd rather spend my Friday night getting to know you and showing you all the things we want you to see.  

Soon enough, I know.  

Until then, I hope you know that your dad and I are very excited about you.  We are going to be the best parents that we know how to be.  I can't make many promises - but there is one I can make.  I promise that you will be loved.  Very loved.  

7 comments:

Ben and Bethany said...

this was so beautiful. I remember feeling the same way. what a great family abby is being born into...and you're right - you'll miss those quiet nights! ;)

Lauren McKnight said...

That was so beautifully written. Abby is lucky to have you and Kyle. I hope you save that letter for her.

Anonymous said...

*wipes the tears*
:)
You are such an amazing person. God knew what he was up to by bringing Abby into your family now.

Anonymous said...

If I was Abby I would be fighting to get out and meet the best parents-to-be in the world! What a beautiful, heartfelt love letter from a mom-to-be! We are all getting excited! Love.....Mama Shach

jennybee said...

Beautiful. I think you found something to do. Time well spent.

You got me all misty-eyed.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the circle goes round. Roger and I felt just like this, too. You are in for so many wonderful times that you will remember and cherish.

I love you and Kyle so much!

Granny

Anonymous said...

How beautifully put. Abby is ever so lucky to be getting you and Kyle for parents. I know you will both be the most loving, kind and yet firm parents in the world. Congrats!! Love ya...AJ

background

counter