Wednesday, November 5, 2008

unity

In the midst of an overwhelming sea of political commentary out there - I will try to keep this brief.  

I voted today, and I was proud to do it.  I watched Obama gain in the electoral votes and I watched as he was announced our president-elect.  I watched McCain's speech, and I watched Obama's.  

I am filled with optimism and am looking forward to watching how our country grows.  I believe that Obama will do great things.  I really do.  I know a lot of you don't agree with me, and that's ok.  I only hope that in the coming months, that our country is able to unite. 

To be honest, when I read about people who say hateful things about Obama or who are utterly pessimistic about our future as a result of this election - I feel both sad for them and hurt.  Are our differences really so great that we can't find common ground?  Is it really worth fighting about?  I don't know, maybe it makes them feel better to put down the candidate, the election process, or the country.  I just feel that this kind of attitude is counter-productive. Divided we fail.  

Let's work together on this.  Let's unite. 

I am about to bring a little girl into this world.  I need it to be as perfect as possible.  Tonight we made history.  I hope that everyone, regardless of how you voted, is able to recognize the importance of tonight.  Here's to looking to our future - our bright and exciting future.  Blessings to all.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah my fair "niece" wouldn't it be lovely if the world was perfect? I did not support either candidate and rather than vote against what I wanted I didn't vote at all. Kinda sad when so many millions in the world do not have that privilege, but I chose to do that and will live with the consequences and hopefully not complain too much. I am prepared to give this new guy a chance....Lord knows we need change badly. I only hope he lives up to his promises and the expectations of the entire world!!!

hannah said...

wanting to bring her into a perfect world...i get it. totally. i've realized recently that that's our job. for our homes. we can't do anything about anything outside our doors. but we can make changes inside. and we can try to make our homes fair...and good...and as "perfect" as humanly possible.

thinking of you three.

background

counter