Sunday, June 19, 2011

my dad

My earliest memories are of my dad.  The first was when I was about two and dad spilled a glass of milk at the dinner table.  I couldn't believe he, a grown up, spilled milk.  I was sure that was something that only 2-year old girls did.  I laughed and laughed. The second memory, from around the same time frame was of dad blowing bubbles inside the house.  I remember wanting a turn (and if I was anything like Abby - I was probably not so good at actually blowing bubbles) and dad telling me that only grown-ups blew bubbles inside.  Those two memories, with a few others, predate all other memories in my brain.

me and dad- around bubble memory time.


I remember being 5 and dad teaching me how to gut a fish...and being fascinated, not disgusted.  I also remember him teaching me how to pronounce "napkin"  He said "It's "nap" like when you take a nap, and "Kin" like....your Ken doll"  It's funny the things you remember isn't it?

I remember my dad working a lot.  That never bothered me, but I also remember when I was in Jr. High and he came up behind me while I was downloading music off Napster and said that he was going to be around more often because he wanted to spend more time with me and my brother.  And he did.  It's almost cliche how well I remember that shift.  I'm not 100% sure what made him make that conscious decision to spend more time at home, less time at the office...but I'm glad he did.



I remember, in high school, when dad came home with a half a dozen wal-mart sacks of red velvet, needles, and thread and said "Laura, we need to make a Santa suit tonight"  He and I stayed up all night long sewing (and I did not know how to sew) and we somehow put a suit together that he used in those early Santa days.



And then there are the things dad has taught me that aren't attached to a specific memory.  One time he told me that, "If it won't matter to you on your death bed, it's probably not worth worrying about"  That one really stuck with me.  He also taught me how to be diplomatic - and that it was just as important to know the opposing side's point of view as it was your own.

And of course, there are the things - so many things- that I learned by watching...as children are wont to do.  How to be polite and civil when people say things you don't agree with.  How to be generous when you don't have any money.  How to, as previously mentioned, balance work and home.  How to cook pot roast.  How to be kind and empathetic without being cliche when people are grieving.  How to appreciate music - and how to tell stories.  I learned how to be a good person by watching my dad (and Mom of course! :)

Is he perfect? No, of course not.  That would be annoying.  Is he the best dad I could ask for?  Absolutely, without question, yes.

I'm very proud of him.





Dad,
I love you lots.  And times like these, when I've missed so many important events (retirement, your birthday, moving day, fathers day...) in such a short time frame, I really wish I were closer...so I could help, so I could treat you to dinner, so I could give you a real hug.  But, for now,  I'm sending you bear hugs and back scratches through the interwebs here.  Mostly though, I'm sending you the knowledge that you mean a lot to me.

Happy Father's Day,
#2



3 comments:

REA said...

*Sniff, Snarkle, Sniff* Thanks, Laura for all those nice things you said about me. It is humbling, to think back through your children's eyes...and see what was/is important.

Extra wing nub scratches next time we are together! I loveyou! XOXOXOX!
Dad

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful wonderful tribute to the man I love !!!!!

Granny

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your father. I would love to meet him one day.
love
AK

background

counter