Tuesday, July 19, 2011

spoiled rotten

This morning, the girls and I headed to Target.  It's been a few weeks since we'd made our weekly trip. It was nice to be back into the routine of things again actually.  We had two goals: to return an item and to get laundry detergent.  I know, I know.  But, that is all I had planned on getting.  I mean, other than drinks of course- tradition is tradition, after all.

I mean, just look how happy she is.


Well, we returned our item and we got laundry detergent, and (in my defense) there's a LOT in that store I didn't buy.  :)  But, we may have gotten a little side tracked by some sale items.  A little home decor and kitchen ware never hurt anybody.  But, our favorite find of the morning was this clearance hat. I spotted it, the last one, and picked it up to check the price.  Abs took it from me, put it on her head and said "am I cute now mommy?"

...so in the basket it went.

She's loved these hats ever since her uncle Michael came to visit and let her wear his fedora. 

We got back in the car to head home and Abby was chattering on about her new hat and how much she looooved her new hat.  I started thinking about taking some pictures of her in it, but wanted to look for a matching outfit.  I'm thrifty (usually), so we headed to the thrift store.

I normally wouldn't go with both girls, but E had just fallen asleep and I have the double stroller to help - and it really did make all the difference.  We browsed around looking for an outfit to match Abs' new hat.  I didn't really find anything.  I'm thrifty, but I'm also picky.  So, before we left, I told Abs we would browse through the toy section.

Some days at the thrift store are winners, and some aren't.  Today, was a win.  I walked into the toy section and was surprised to see a big doll house.  One that looked pretty nice.  I went to inspect it closer - it had some water stains, and some shingles are missing, and it could use some new paint all around, but still - it was big and wooden and seemingly well constructed.  A doll house has been in my mind for Abs' birthday/Christmas, but they're pricey and they'd been off my radar for a few months.

So, by this point of course Abs is in the stroller saying "I like that house mommy!"  I braced myself for the price tag - sometimes I'm too cheap for even thrift store prices. Much to my surprise, it was listed for $12.99.

Sold!

I'll buy some paint and we'll fix it up nice- but Abs and I are both pretty excited about the new addition.  I emailed Kyle a pic before I bought it and asked what he thought.  His response was "Sure, why not?  I mean, with two girls - it's inevitable"  ha.




But wait, there's more!  I did a quick scan in the rest of the toy department for doll house furniture or something, but there wasn't anything.  And that's fine, Abs is perfectly happy playing with trains and baseballs inside for now.  But, we did pick up one new addition...

don't you think Jesus should be the first official resident?  We did. 

I was pretty set then, but on the way out we saw just one more thing.  


Abs has outgrown a lot of her puzzles, so I'm about to put many of them away and save them for E.  So, I thought this little set would make a great replacement.  Abby is very much into patterns and organization, so what better than a pattern board?  We love Melissa & Doug toys anyway, and this one was seemingly brand new.  It came with a magnetic board, 12 designs, and over 100 magnetic shapes.  We played with it before nap for a while and Abby really loved it.  She's pretty good at it too.  I thought it was a good purchase for $3.  Besides, the school psych in me loves it too.

concentrating

So, it was an exciting morning for us.  Almost like Christmas.  :)  I'm looking forward to giving the doll house a makeover, but, that will have to wait a few days.  We've got the farmer's market planned for this afternoon and playdates tomorrow.  I love summer.  And deals.  And spoiling my kids. ;)

4 comments:

Linda said...

It's your serious job to spoil your children. They will turn out so fine. Besides I like your purchases and everyone can still call you thrifty.

Granny

Leah said...

Considering the items you found to "spoil" her with, I think she'll hardly notice that they're *good* for her. Good job Momma!

hannah said...

The dollhouse is perfect. And I MUST get Pratt one of those pattern puzzles! I love Melissa and Doug.

jennybee said...

What a fun day! Fabulous finds all round.

background

counter