Tuesday, September 18, 2012

here you go, mom.

I got to chat with my parents Sunday night, and I think there was something said about how much they miss reading the blogs and how they just pine away refreshing their browser every 4 seconds waiting for the day that they can read about their grandchildren once again.  I mean, it's a miracle they've survived this long through my extensive, desolate, blog drought.

Mom, may I offer you a glass of water?  :)



So, first of all.  Michael came to visit! Yay!  Also, Dani came to visit! Double Yay!  We very much like visitors.  Dani came up for the weekend before a seminar she was taking on the Cape and Michael hung out for a few days too.  I think the girls definitely enjoyed the uncle time and I know I enjoyed the brother time a lot.  We were able to take both of our visitors out into the city on Saturday for some freedom trail and site seeing action.  Michael and I went bar hopping where we just ordered chocolate milk every where we went and took notes and rated each establishment - that was a lot of fun.

Their visits were, of course, too short - but I'm very happy to have had what we got.  It is not cheap to fly up here or easy to take off time from their own lives - so thank you Michael and Dani for making the trip.  You were the highlight of our month. :)


In other news.

The new nanny is great.  The girls adore her and she has been a lifesaver in helping me keep the house in order.  In fact, I'm pretty sure any order in the house can be completely attributed to her.  She has definitely exceeded my expectations.  How very lucky we are to have found somebody who will not only watch our girls, but who goes above and beyond to entertain and educate them as well? Very lucky indeed.
"say cheese"

 Abby is...such a little person.  As of late, she has had fewer 3-year old melt downs and slightly more acceptable and even desirable behaviors.  I think this is mostly due to me being back at work.  She gets a chance to miss me, and our time together now is...not taken for granted.  Granted, our afternoons are typically jammed full of errands and activities, so maybe there's just not enough time to misbehave as often. ;)

She's been very good with E - they play together increasingly often and it must be my favorite thing in the world. Elizabeth has grown leaps and bounds of late.  Physically I suppose too, but more verbally and expressively.  She is adding to her increasing list of words and the words she knows are becoming increasingly clear and articulate.  She understands so much and can follow simple directions pretty well.  I can tell her to go get something and she will, to put her shoes away, to throw this in recycle or close the door.  I'm still always pleased when I realize she is doing exactly what I asked....just like a real person would.


Some of her more recent vocabulary includes distinguishing transportation - not everything is "car" now.  There are "Cah"-car "Bo"-boat "A-pane"-airplane "Tuk"-truck etc.  She is stringing together short phrases like "Oh no!" and "Shoes on" and if I ask her if she wants to watch a show - she happily shouts "SHOW!" and climbs on the couch ready to watch.  She also says "there it is" when you ask her where her bellybutton or nose are and she'll say "there ya go" when she's figured something out after working on it for a while.  Communication, it's the darndest thing.

blinky face - our favorite. 

Elizabeth still absolutely refuses to allow anything in her hair.  No bows, no ponytail holders, no headbands, clips or hats.  But, her hair is now long enough to put up....should she allow it. 

Sometimes I wish I could just record them and their funny conversations everyday.  There's too much to remember, but they make me smile and laugh on a daily basis.  Last night, Abby and I got the giggles before bed.  And I wasn't just pretending to laugh for her benefit - I was in tears because she was being so silly and we just fed off each other.  I can't help but wonder what memories she'll retain as she grows.  I wonder if mommy laughing before bed will make the list or not. I kinda hope it does. 

Life is good, work is busy.  I never have enough time in the day and my to-do list never gets completed.  I am sad that blogging is usually the first sacrifice made to the to-do gods in place of something more work-related.  I will continue to try to make the time. 

Until then, Mom - you can always call. :) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay, yay yay yayy yay yay yay yay

A BLOG!!!

and such a good and informative one too!

Granny

background

counter