Friday, September 28, 2012

wins & losses

Let's star with the wins.  

Win 1: a new breakfast project that Abby loved.  Painting bread with colored milk and then toasting it.  I imagine it shows up even better on white bread - but they aren't even aware that there's another kind of bread out there at this age, so shhh.  

Win 2: I went to my favorite thrift store the other day and made a lot of good finds.  Among them, this 1980 plastic pull airplane.  Kyle loves airplanes, so we have a soft spot for airplane toys.  Plus, E is at the age where she loves pulling anything around.  The propellor spins when you pull it, and it was $1, so definite win.  I'm such a sucker for old toys (the wooden alphabet puzzle and blocks and wagon were other wins of that same trip)

win 3: in addition to the airplane, I found this awesome wooden doll high chair.  This isn't a very good picture, but it matches the girls' kitchen set really well and is really cute.  The girls looooved it.  The funniest thing was watching E feed the "baby"  Every time she would take the rabbit out of the chair or put him back in, she'd make this strained grunting sound - like we obviously do when we picking her up.  So funny.

Win 4: I found a tie I liked for Kyle at the same store AND, the whole reason I went in there was to look for halloween costumes.  I have an idea of what I want to do for the girls, but I'm broke, so I need to do it on the cheap.  I'm not going to spoil the surprise yet -but I found something that I think will work really well for Abby's costume, and it made me happy. :)

Win 5: both girls let me blow-dry their hair the other night.  This isn't a win because I care if their hair is blown dry or not - but it's a win because they didn't cry and scream and run and hide when the hair dryer came on.  Abby would only let me use the low setting - so her hair took forever, but it was nice they weren't afraid. 


And now for the losses.  

While shopping at before-mentioned awesome store - I got a parking ticket.  BOO.  
Sadly, it was justified as I failed to notice that my inspection sticker expired 2, almost 3, months ago.  I was upset about the ticket, but more annoyed that it was due to my own oversight.  I need a reminder about these things.  

So I took the car in for an inspection today.

Loss 2: It FAILED the inspection.  The car people said my 2 front tires were too worn down to pass inspection.  So I need new tires.  They quoted me for the tires - and then clarified that that was the price for *each* tire - not both as I'd assumed.  Fail.

Loss 3: It's raining today, which is the most recent of reasons (and excuses) that I've not run in almost 2 solid weeks.  Terrible.  I fully intended to get back on the pavement this week.  Then the girls got sick, then I didn't feel well, then it was cold and raining.  Blah.  Excuses excuses.  

but at least she's still cute in her raincoat. ;)


So that sums up my past 24 hours or so.  Wins and Losses.  But, I'm thankful that there are still more wins at the end of the day.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Abby's hair has grown *so* much in the last (almost) 2 years! I can't believe it!

Linda said...

Your wins were so good and your loses endurable!

background

counter