Thursday, September 20, 2012

peanut butter

Yesterday, I was working on some photos and Abby came into the office carrying a big jar of peanut butter saying, "Mom?  Can you just open this for me?"  It was a new jar, so she got the lid off, but couldn't manage the seal inside.

My first thought was "No, we don't need to open this jar because we have at least 2 other jars that are already opened"

My second thought, which is what I told her, was "Abby, why do you need peanut butter?  I don't want you getting the peanut butter out by yourself, ok?  Peanut Butter is very messy and I don't want you to make a big mess with it.  If you want some peanut butter, I'll help you"

Abby stomped her foot and whined "But, moooooommm, I WANT to do it by myself!  I won't make a mess!  I Prooooomise! I just want to make a snack with the apples"

Me: "You want apples and peanut butter?"
Abs: "Yes.  It's really a yummy treat.  You would like it"
Me: "How about I come make it for you in just a second"
Abs: "No.  I want to do it"
Me: "Abby, we're not going to open this jar right now"

and Abs walked out looking a little dejected, but not defiant.

A few minutes later, she came back into the office and said, a little too sweetly, "Mommy?  Here, I'll take that jar back for you.  Don't worry, I won't open it.  I will just put it back in the pantry where it came from and I won't make any messes.  I'm just going to put it back. Ok?"

I said, "Um, sure hon.  Thanks"

And then she veryquicklyadded, "we just have another jar that's already opened, so I'll just use that one to make my snack, " she grinned really sweetly, cocked her head to the side and slightly shrugged her shoulders and added, "k, mom? Thanks!"

I couldn't help but laugh a little at her determination to do this herself.  So I said "Ok Abby.  You can make a snack, but please be careful and try not to make a big mess"

"Ok, mom, I won't!"

10 minutes later, she's back in the office carrying an apple by the stem so as not to disturb the layer of peanut butter that has been carefully applied to the entirety of the skin.  "Here mom, here's your treat!  I made it for you and I didn't make any messes!"

I delicately took the apple and decided to bring it back to the kitchen - where I was, admittedly, surprised that there really wasn't a mess.  In fact, the peanut butter was back in the pantry - lid on.  The knife she used for spreading as well as the plate she used were both in the sink - but had been washed with soap so that there wasn't any more peanut butter on them.  I suppose Abby noticed me noticing her handiwork and so she added "I just spilled a tiny-tiny bit of water mom, but don't worry, I cleaned it up"

I thanked her for the snack, but told her I'd save it for later as I wasn't very hungry right then.  I praised her for doing such a good job with her project and cleaning up so nicely.  She was beaming proud.   I didn't anticipate being very hungry for the smeared apple, so I suggested that I cut it up and let Abby share it with Elizabeth.  Abby reminded me, "Silly mommy, E-train can't have peanut butter yet, remember?  She's not bigger enough"

Right.

When did she get old enough to do this stuff?  Wasn't it last week that she was still learning to hold a fork?  And here she is, all big girl in her late 3's.  4 is just around the corner and it seems...unreal.  Next thing I know she'll be living across the country, calling on the weekends she remembers and forgetting to blog. Time flies.


1 comment:

*Jen* said...

Big girl!
it goes way too fast.

background

counter