Tuesday, September 25, 2012

quiet

Elizabeth has a cold.  Nothing life threatening, just a really gross cold.  She woke up coughing yesterday, but I had to leave for work before I could assess her further.  When I got home, I got the expected report that she had been a faucet-nose all day.  She was, however, still in good spirits.

We picked up Kyle and took him to class and ran a few errands.  E was water eyed and runny nosed - but interactive and happy.  When we got home, she didn't eat much, but she and Abby played chase and half a dozen other games while I cleaned up.

I subjected the poor thing to the terrible trifecta of diaper change, nail trimming, and nose suctioning before brushing her teeth for bed.  It must be hard, as a baby, to be tortured like that by your mom - the one you need to comfort you in times of distress.  You could tell she was a little mad at me - mostly about the nose suction, but she still needed a good hug afterwards and I'm, luckily, still preferred for that over her toy cat.

After we brushed teeth, I sat down with her and read her a few more books than usual.  I wanted to give the medicine I'd given her a few more minutes to set in.  Usually, when we read books, E is up and down picking the next book and giving it to me and climbing up into my lap again, but last night, she was content to just sit and let me chose what we read.  After we'd read all the little books in her top shelf, I turned out the lamp.  Normally, this is where I scoop her up and put her in bed.  But, last night she didn't make any attempt to move so I didn't either.  We just sat there with her sitting on my lap in complete darkness.  I listened to her breathing and could tell she was still stuffy but not as bad as she had been. I lightly rubbed her arms and legs sending her into a trance.  I guess after about 5 minutes, she climbed up and laid on my chest with her head on my shoulder.  I hugged her and rubbed her back for a while.  Pitch black, just me and my baby, rocking in the quiet.  I only knew she'd fallen asleep because she woke with a start and looked at me, rubbed her eyes, and then looked at her crib.  So, I carried her over and put her down.  She had her stuffed turtle clutched under one arm and I covered her with her blanket and she was already snoring.

It was a nice quiet moment.  I don't get too many of those with her anymore.

And, in case you're wondering, as I did (but chose to ignore) why it was so so quiet?  it's because Abby was busy.  Busy drawing a family picture in purple and orange on her wall.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, very sweet.

And the last line was my favorite.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful writing. I can see the 'dark' and the purple and orange! E get better quickly!









granny

Anonymous said...

Very nice priceless moment...and twist at the end. I love you!
Dad

*Jen* said...

Love :)
(But sorry about the wall)

background

counter