Tuesday, July 8, 2008

the dmv.

What a frustrating experience.  

After living here for a year, I decided that it was time to register my car and switch my license over to MA.  Well, you can't register without insurance, so we found a good rate with Progressive that made me and Kyle happy. (Finding insurance in MA is a big hot mess in my opinion) Progressive then has to send us a form to take to the DMV in order to finish the registration process and get my plates.  Simple, right?

So, I get the form in the mail.  I go to the DMV.  I'm determined to make this a positive experience.  I wait patiently on a hard wooden bench for an hour.  My number is called and it takes the lady about 20 seconds to say "The name on the title and the form don't match"  Long story short: My grandmother, who was my co-signer, was not listed as an owner on the MA form.  So I have to call Progessive and have them add her to the form before I can register.  

(insert 30 mins of walking around a mall feeling sorry for myself having wasted my afternoon)

I call Progressive.  Through a series of menus I finally get to the person I need to talk to.  They want my grandma's birthday.  I know the day, but not the year.  He says I'll have to call back.  As soon as I hang up, I see it printed on my car title.  (I'm annoyed now).  I call back.  Go through the same series of menus.  Explain my situation AGAIN.  And then this lady explains to me that in order to put grandma's name on this MA form...I have to add her to my insurance policy.  

I'm like, "what?"  She lives half way across the country, she will never drive my car...  The lady says she understands, but its the only way they can add her.  She said it will probably change my rates...would I like a quote?  I said, "sure"

So, while she puts me on hold, I find myself unable to hold back my frustration as sobs just start to come.  I'm angry, tired, hungry, and did I mention tired of waiting in lines and on the phone?    She comes back on and asks me questions like, "how long has your grandmother been licensed?"  I don't know!  Well, I guess the lady could hear that I'd been crying.  She sounded like she was trying to be very nice to me.  She comes back with my new rates...and, guess what? It actually lowered my rates.  

So, I tell her to make the changes, I have to call back tomorrow to add grandma to the form, have them re-send it to me, and then try the DMV all over again.  In the end, it worked out.  But, because I'd already worked myself up and I was still tired, I hung up and just cried and cried.  No reason really.  I felt like a 4 year old who was just up past their bedtime.  I just needed to get it out.  

Kyle was asleep, but eventually I woke him up to share with him the story...and cried while telling him.  Finally I told him, "Just tell me all the really sad things you can think of!  Just let me get this all out!  Go ahead, tell me about something heartwrenching.  Do it, make me cry!" 

...needless to say he just hugged me.  Ah hormones.  

No comments:

background

counter