Monday, July 7, 2008

pregnancy list #1

I figure its about time for me to start making lists of things.  This list is dedicated to the things I didn't know about pregnancy...but have found out.  Pregnancy is different for everyone, but these were true for me.   In no particular order.

1.  The 1st trimester went really slowly because I didn't feel great most of the time.  The 2nd trimester seems to be flying by.  This might also be influenced by the end of my work year and being off for summer.  

2.  I used to clip my nails about once a month.  They didn't grow so fast.  Now, I have to clip them once a week.  I swear if you look at them, you can see them move.  

3.  My relationship with food is a frustrating one.  Things you want, you don't want once you get them.  Things you used to love make you sick.  My body wanted nothing that was 1) healthy and 2) cooked by me for at least 2 months.  You feel like you haven't eaten in weeks only to fill up with a few bites...and to be ravenously hungry again 10 mins later.  

4.  The baby gets its nutrients from you.  Baby gets what baby needs.  If you don't take in enough calcium, baby takes it from your bones.  So, really, all those vitamins are more for you.

5.  My hair grows faster now (see #2)  I also have very fine hair on my belly now.  Not enough for people to notice, but sometimes Kyle will "kiss the baby" and says it tickles his nose.  

6.  That pregnancy fatigue you hear about is no joke.  If you know a pregnant lady who is tired.  Let her go sleep.  She really means it.  

7.  Exercising is a second trimester goal.  At least for me, I didn't have the energy to get up and go to bed most nights, let alone go elliptical for an hour.  

8.  Maternity clothes are often overpriced ($68 bucks for a tank top on SALE???)  But you can find good deals.  I like the thrift store treasures, but target and other stores can be reasonable.  Maternity dressing rooms come with little velcro pillows you can strap to yourself to see how you'll look (and how your clothes will fit) when you're bigger.  These can be very entertaining.  

9.  Also, maternity and baby stores often have classes and services for preggo mamas.  Babies R Us offers a range of preparation courses, I found a maternity store that offers free yoga and seminars.  Check your resources and don't pay for classes you don't have to.  Also, childbirth classes are not free and not always covered by insurance.  So, check.  

10.  I'm almost halfway through this pregnancy at this point and it is still sinking in.  It's normal not to feel pregnant all the time.  I think, however, once we know the gender and the baby's movements become stronger and more frequent, things will be sinking in faster and faster.  :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This month, my pharmacy clinical rotation is focused on gestational diabetes (so if that becomes an issue--I hope it won't, of course--I'm your girl) but I get to see lots of pregnant women every day. And I think about you :^) And I smile. I'm working on a powerpoint presentation for Monday about depresssion during pregnancy. So far, one thing is clear: it's common and okay and crying is SO NORMAL. So that's 3 things. But cry on, mama!

loveya,
darby :^)

background

counter