Wednesday, July 16, 2008

recognition

Tonight Kyle and I went out to dinner at the Cheesecake factory.  This is nice for several reason.  One, I don't have to cook and I get cheesecake.  But it's also always a nice time when we can take the public transit downtown and walk around in the pleasant weather.  Also, this is part of my mystery diner gig, so we get reimbursed for most of our meal (always a good thing)

Anyway.  After dinner we walked around the big Apple Store for a while and then came home.  On the train ride home, I started feeling carsick, which never happens.  I think it was because I was full, could smell the leftover food we were taking home, riding on a bumpy train backwards, and was playing a game on my phone.  As the train cleared (our stop is almost at the end of the line) I found a spot next to Kyle, close to the front of the train.  

I told Kyle I wasn't feeling well, and was absent mindedly rubbing my face and stomach.  Then I hear this voice say, "You all right?  You don't look like you feel good."  I realize it's the driver.  Here's how the rest goes:

Me: Oh, yeah, I'm ok, thanks.
Driver: Man, I saw you rubbing your stomach and I was like, oh no, she don't look good.  You gonna make it?
Me: Yeah, I'll make it.
Driver: How far are you?
Me: Umm, well, I'm getting off at South Street.
(At this point Kyle jabs me and says, "that's not what he means")
Driver: (laughing)  No, how far are you?
Me: Oh, about 5 months.
Driver: Wow! Congratulations dude!

Then we were at our stop, so we thanked him and walked home. It was the first time a stranger has noticed that I was pregnant.  Kinda nice, kinda weird.  He was nice though.  

Just thought I'd share.  :)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an exciting moment...and a great evening to dinner at the cheesecake factory--i'm so jealous! Little Rock keeps building "fancy" shopping centers...I wish they'd install a cheesecake factory in one of them!

Of what flavor of cheesecake did you partake?

Laura said...

peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake. :-D ....Kyle and I split a piece, don't worry.

Ben and Bethany said...

wow - that's some busy cheesecake! I'm not a fan of cheesecake and when i was pregnant with Jackson I only wanted really strong food like hot wings, chinese food, salsa... always good for heartburn :) We need some belly pictures!

background

counter