Friday, December 18, 2009

friday at last

It's finally Friday. Specifically, Friday the 18th of December - the day I've been looking forward to with some anticipation since late October. Why? Because it marks the last meeting I had scheduled for the semester and is the last day in the busiest week of the year (so far). And I made it. Did I get everything finished? No, everything is never finished - but I got the important stuff done, and I met all my pre-Christmas deadlines. I still have a few straggling cases that are in limbo for one reason or another - but the bulk of my december work is done. Stick a fork in it. Done.

And I'm tired. But I'm happy. Today, now that the stressful part of work is behind me, is the first day that I allow myself to look forward to next week (eek! next week?) and all the Christmas festivities that entails. There's still a lot to do, of course - HA - there's everything to do. But that's ok. I know it won't all get finished because, again, it never does. I'll forget to buy a gift for somebody, our Christmas cards will be late, I'll forget to pack Abby's favorite book. And at the end of the day - it's fine.

Kyle is still working on wrapping up some odds and ends for school, but he hasn't had class after work for about a week. This means that we've been able to eat dinner as a family just about every night this week. It's really nice! I try to have dinner about ready when he gets home and after he puts up his coat and kicks off his shoes, we're ready to sit and eat. Abby usually finishes before us and we just let her crawl around under the table or in the living room while we catch up and talk about our days.

Then we put Abby to bed.

Now, most of the time, we would both sit back and watch a few TV shows - but most of our shows have ended their seasons. Kyle has been working on different projects - but I find that I'd rather work early in the mornings. I could clean, but that's best left for the mornings and the weekends too. So, what does this all mean? It means that after Abby goes to bed at 7 - there has been nothing worth staying up for. And I've taken advantage of that. 3 nights this week I've gone to bed before 8pm. I fall asleep on the couch (I love my couch) and then when I wake up around 2 or 3 am I take myself to bed.

It's been Great. But I've needed it. I'm exhausted at the end of the day. Just plum tuckered out. I'm up at 5:30 most days and I don't get to take a deep breath until Abby's asleep for the night. ...I know, I know, it's the life of being a mom and I don't really have it *that* hard - but I still get tired.

Anyway. I'm really glad its Friday.

I'm looking forward to a weekend of preparation for Christmas and our trip home - maybe I can be productive this weekend, that'd be nice.

I'll leave you with this picture of Abs that I think pretty sums up the week. And I'm sure many babies sleep this way - but I like that it has been well noted that this is how I slept as a baby too. Have restful Fridays. :)

1 comment:

*Jen* said...

I'm glad you've got some rest :)

And that could be the cutest photo ever.

background

counter