Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December

I always check my e'mail first thing in the morning, before I even get out of bed. This morning, I turned off the alarm and opened my inbox to see what junk mail had accumulated overnight. The first thing I got was an email that said "Abigail, it's your birthday!"

it took me a second.

But then I remembered signing up for some kid store promotion and I rarely put Abby's real birthday down when they ask for that kinda thing. I dunno why, paranoid I guess. So I always use December 1st. And they had sent me this coupon for the occasion.

It was, however, a bright reminder that today is December 1st and in less than two weeks, Abby will reach that big milestone of turning one.

Right now I'm not feeling sad about it. I'm feeling happy - and even excited. I'm in planning mode. Not that we're going to have anything elaborate, but I do want to give her a nice first birthday party...even if its small. We can't really afford gifts for her, and that's ok. She won't remember them and I can give her things like pictures and letters for the future that are free.

Of course there is, and probably always will be, a part of me that wants to go spend hundreds of dollars on new things for her. New toys that I know she'd enjoy, new clothes that would look adorable, and so on. But I keep having to remind myself that it's not the gifts that are important.

I just want her to have fun and be happy. And I just wanted to acknowledge the first day of this very important month. Have a good day everyone.

If cold December gave you birth,
The month of snow and ice and mirth,
Place on your hand a turquoise blue,
Success will bless what'er you do
~ Anonymous

3 comments:

*Jen* said...

Abigail will have a wonderful birthday full of love and laughter and family, and that's worth more than $1,000 in gifts and clothes. :)

(And I love the quote with which you end.)

hannah said...

i love how jen ended her comment. "and i love the quote with which you end." perfect, jen. perfect.

happy december to you and abigail. it is probably the best month of them all. honestly, it is.

since i'm older than you, i have a big of elderly advice: i cannot remember what gifts i got on my first, second, third...etc, etc birthdays. i remember instead, who was there. the cards i received. and the love that i felt. that's what is most important. and that is what abigail will remember too.

love you laura.

Billie Jo said...

Oh how I love you guys so much. Don't worry about spoiling Abby with cute things...we'll take up some of the slack on that! Miss you and wishing we were there for her birthday party. Cannot wait to see you at Christmas.

background

counter