Tuesday, September 6, 2011

About 5 minutes

5 minutes.  That's about how long I have until my eyes shut.  I joke with Kyle that I'm completely solar powered.  Well, it was rainy all day and the sun has been down for hours now - my energy is running near empty.  

But, I have a few minutes left.  I'm going to attempt to write as much as I can. 

Firstly, today was my first day back at work.  It was an easy day in that it was just a staffing where we go over the procedures and new announcements and such for the year.  It's nice to get together with the rest of the department and catch up with everyone's summer.  I'm lucky to work in a great district, but I'm super lucky to have such a close knit and capable group of co-workers around me.  Anyway, it was good to see them. 

Abby and Elizabeth did great with Brittany today.  Abby didn't bat an eye about us going back to work.   She didn't give Brittany a hard time about taking a nap, ate all her lunch and was sweet with E.  I knew they were in good hands and didn't worry about them at all.  It was as smooth a transition as we could have hoped for.  The real challenge will come as we try to perfect a morning routine that allows me to get to work on time.  But, day one back?  Done and done. 

Abby discovered her throat yesterday.  After staring in the mirror at her wide open mouth for a while, she excitedly exclaimed "I have two tunnels in my mouth! Come see! I have two tunnels!"  I think her throat looked like 2 because of that little uvula thing.  She chattered on to say "I put my vitamin in my mouth, and it went in the tunnel and then it went dooooown my throat and into my tummy!"  I think it's one of her first real science/biology-like discoveries.  She's been intrigued since.  She asks to see our "tunnels"  now. 

Elizabeth has the most infectious smile EVER.

Abby has been cleaning up more than usual today.  Yesterday?  She actually really did clean.  Like, her play area was a mess, and she was playing for about 10 minutes and came to get me and said "mommy, I cleaned up my kitchen, come see"  And - she HAD.  Like, she had done a really good job.  Tonight, before bed we told her to pick a book to read and she said "Um, ok, but first I need to clean up my room"  And she went around and picked up her clothes and put toys where they go and straightened things and cleared surfaces.  Kyle and I just watched a little baffled and amused and impressed and proud.  Earlier today, I left Abby washing cut zucchini ends (she loves to wash) while I put E down for a nap.  When I came downstairs, Abby was holding a stack of cups in front of a mostly empty dishwasher.  She immediately said, "Look Mommy!  I was a big helper and put aaaall the dishes away! I cleaned them up for you.  The knife was really sharp but I was really careful and the cups are all stacked up but I can't reach that up there"  She was  so so so proud of herself.  Just beaming.  I didn't have the heart to admonish her for putting all of the DIRTY dishes back in the drawers and cabinets.  I just tried to find what I could.  I don't know what's spurring her clean-streak, but I like it.  

My brother had back surgery today to fix him.  I don't know all the details - but I know he did very well and I hope that this surgery helps him feel more normal (back wise) soon.  Thanks for the positive thoughts from everyone.

Kyle had a really long day today too - the beginning of school is hard for all of us.  He got to work early and stayed late and is currently passed out at his desk.  I kinda feel that way too. 

My 5 minutes is up and my eyes are closi....

2 comments:

Leah said...

What you don't know is that I've been exercising my ability to send Abby "cleaning" thoughts through sleepy brain waves at night. I'm glad to see it's working. :)

Linda said...

I'm proud of you all.
I'm glad Michael is here so we can see him get better and better.

Granny

background

counter