Monday, September 12, 2011

photography

No secret that I like taking pictures, right?

I wish I would have realized this earlier in life...like in high school where I could have taken courses on it that prepped me for college courses in it that would have set me up for actually knowing what I'm doing now.

But, I didn't.  And that's fine.  I've discovered it now and I very much enjoy it.

Photography is, I believe, the creative medium that is best for me.  I do have an artistic side and I'm happiest when I'm able to use it.  Sometimes, if I haven't been creative in a while, I get really down and gloomy.  Then, I realize that what I want to do is build 400 hand made origami giraffs or something ridiculous, and it's time consuming, but then I feel better.  I like being creative...but, I can't sing and I can't sew and I can't really draw (although I can rock a doodle).  I've dabbled in scrapbooking and clay and poetry and quilling (I'd still like to do more quilling - one day when I have endless hours to do nothing with but twirl paper. ha. hahahaha.)

But, while I enjoy all of those things - they were just mini projects.  Photography, on the other hand - appeals to me on a much deeper level.  It's like the lightbulb went off somewhere deep inside and suddenly I could see that this was me.  I could be good at this - and I could love it.

I think part of it has to do with the fact that photography is both art and technical.  There is a freedom and an art to it.  You can take pictures of whatever you'd like and however you'd like.  But, there is also structure.  You have to learn the technical stuff.  You have to know how your camera works and how light works and how the two work together.  For as much freedom as there is, there are rules, too.  And I think this is what appeals to me.  I need some structure, but I need creative license as well.

When people would ask me what I would do if I could have any job in the world - I'd always say that being a world photographer was high on my list.  To travel the world and capture culture and beauty - could there be anything more rewarding?  Well, it's not in the cards now.  Not while I have a family and a career that I enjoy. But maybe it will be my retirement plan.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

What I want to get at is this feeling that I have.  It's a frustrating feeling.  Spurred by the fact that I am a novice in photography - and yet - I can see that I could be good at this.  I want to be good at this.  I can feel it...but I have to be patient and study and learn and practice and make mistakes first.  And all of that takes time.  And I want to be good Right Now.

I've been self teaching myself since I bought my real camera this year.  And I've learned tons.  TONS.  But, there's so much still to learn.  So.  What to do about it?  Well, I saved my pennies for a while and I built up the guts to spend them all on a photography course.  A four week program that comes highly reviewed.  It's an online thing - do at your own pace, but people love it.  So, I'm optimistic. I have to be, it was expensive. ;)

It starts today and I'm so thirsty for learning that I just can't read fast enough.  I'm excited to try the assignments and absorb all the information I can.  It feels good to have invested in this - when this is nothing more than a hobby, a dream, a past time.  I could have spent that money on a hundred different things that we really truly need.  But instead, I'm spending it on recreational education.  But still, it feels good....I think I could use the word nourishing.

Anyway, that's all for now.  I just wanted to document this.  I'll let you know how it goes.   Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go, Laura! Pursue your dreams and use your God-given talent! We support you 100%.

Love,

Ouma

Linda said...

We Wish you luck. How fine it is to be interested in something you really care about. I feel lucky that you develop (so to speak) yourself. You already have that artist eye. I love your drawings,too.

Granny

Anonymous said...

Go Laura!!! You inspire me! And so many others I'm sure :) I can't wait to hear about your CM class. All I could afford was a class through the local adult ed center (which will hopefully be good) so I'm jealous!

Mary said...

That last blog was me but I don't know why it didn't show! :P

jennybee said...

What nourishes your soul also nourishes your family.

Good for you. In every sense of the phrase. :)

Billie Jo said...

Proud of you! Can't wait to see the new pictures that come of this. Can't wait to see you and E even more, though!

background

counter