Thursday, September 15, 2011

cold cake

So we went to a birthday party for a kid in our playgroup and I was talking to Abby about how her friend,  had just turned 3.   And how another friend from playgroup had turned 3 over the summer.  So I asked her how old she was and she said "Ummm.  I'm two." So I told her, "That's right, but when you have your birthday, you'll be 3 too!"

Abby: "Yeah!  Abby will be 3 too! Yay!"
Me: "Yes, you will.  But first we have to wait for your birthday.  Your birthday is far away still"
Abby: "Yeah.  When my birthday come mom?"
Me: "Well, your birthday is a little bit far away.  We have to wait until after it gets really cold"
Abby: "And I will have cake and I will blow out the candle?"
Me: "Yes, we will have cake and candles, and maybe balloons too"
Abby: "I love balloons.  Where is Santa anyway?"
Me: (laughing) "Well, Santa is at Santa's house getting the toys ready for Christmas"
Abby: "Yeah.  So, he will have to come and bring toys, but he will bring the reindeer to fly first and the reindeer like to eat carrots, but I will have cake for my birthday and the reindeer don't eat my cake"
Me: "Right, Santa has reindeer that fly and he will bring presents at Christmas.  But your birthday is before Christmas"
Abby: "After it gets cold?"
Me: "yes."

So we go home and play and I'm getting dinner ready.

Abby: "mommy? Whatcha making?"
Me: "Well, I'm cooking supper.  What are you doing?"
Abby: "Um, I'm just playing and making birthday cakes for my birthday"
(birthday cakes are play-doh patties with crayons stuck in them)
Me: "Oh, that's cool.  But your birthday is a little bit far away still"
Abby: "Yeah, I know.  After my cake gets cold.  It will be my birthday when my cake gets cold."

So, I explained to her that we had to wait for her birthday after the weather got really cold. Poor kid.  I love that she's old enough to start thinking about it though...and I think she's going to have so much fun having a party this year.  It's still 3 months away, but it's already on our minds.  When did she get this old?

I dunno.  But, I think once she decides to potty train (which will be never), I'm going to stop time.

2 comments:

REA said...

Just can't help remember what Abby has to say. I'm glad there is stuff she really looks forward to like Christmas and birthdays.

Granny

*Jen* said...

It is so funny to me that I, too, have a very verbal girl who will be 3 in December who also has NO interest in potty training.

background

counter