Tuesday, March 17, 2009

not easy being green

Happy St. Paddy's Day people.  I hope your pinches were minimal :)

I figure this is a good day to talk about being "green"

I have a lot of friends who are very good about doing things like recycling and walking to work.  I now know lots of people who use cloth diapers and wipes and do other things that are environmentally admirable.  So this spurred me and Kyle to have a conversation about what we could do.  

We have decided that we will make our own baby food when Abby gets to that stage (it's closer than you think!)  I'm very excited about this.  I love that I can give her healthier foods.  Kyle and I decided that it would be nice if we could "go organic"  with her foods.  I mean, the fewer chemicals and such, the better, right?  

We would like to eat healthier too of course - but it's hard because so many of the organic and natural foods are more expensive.  I mean, I love the idea of grass-fed, hormone free meat, and pesticide free fruits - but is it something we can afford?  I dunno.  It's a catch.  

So, in order to weigh our options and see what's available - we took a family trip to our local Whole Foods store.  This was Kyle's first trip to one and he made me laugh when he said upon entering "So, we have 30 mins to shop for everything we need and we spend the time running around like crazy people, right?"  (that's a Top Chef reference for those of you who don't watch)

Anyway, we had a good trip, got a few things to try.  We even went all out and finally bought some reusable shopping bags (yeah, that's only been on my to-do list for like a year).  I just have a hard time time justifying the costs, y'know?  It's like - is it really worth almost twice the cost to buy organic lunchmeat or cheese?  Will my body actually know a difference if I eat organic carrots or just plain 'ol carrots?  

Of course, Abby is another story.  We'll go organic with her food as long as we can.  I feel that its more important for her.  She's new. :)

I don't know that I'll ever do cloth diapers, although I think it's great of those people who do.  I don't know that I'll realistically ever walk or ride a bike to work everyday.  I'm sure Abby will have plastic toys, I still use a plastic water bottle, and we eat things that have ingredients I can't pronounce.  But - I'll do what I can.  I'll buy Abby organic foods.  I'll take my shopping bags to the store.  I recycle what I can.  I try not to waste food.  I take public transit whenever possible.

every little bit helps, right?

3 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Yep. Every little bit does help. Living in Eugene, we have those "reusable" bags coming out our ears now (they give them away at conferences and other events around). One of Ricky's kids at school did a report on organic food. She (somewhere) found recommendations for if you're only going to go "partially" organic or trying to save on costs the types of food that are most important (or make the biggest change in what your body gets) to be organic. I know one of these was milk (to buy organic). I'm sure you could find similar references out there to focus your resources. We didn't take Kyle (or you?) to Market of Choice while you were here?! Man, you do have to come visit...fresh squeezed orange juice, make your own peanut (or almond) butter, bulk (organic) spices, trail mix, etc. It's really quite the experience...similar to whole foods. Ahh...life in Eugene. :-)

Anonymous said...

Laura I'm so proud of you going green especially for Abs. When you were weening I found out about a group Leleche League. They rotated on four topics- one of which was organic foods for the eating baby. I did some of that for you.

I bought cloth diapers for Jennifer and really liked them, but Roger kept on throwing them away when dirity. I decided that I couldn't afford cloth disposable diapers. Back then they made some with a hour-glass shape. Then, some of the famililes that I baby-sat for used a diaper service. I thought that was great.

Love you,

Granny

Anonymous said...

I cloth diapered my girls! Sorry, I haven't checked in awhile. Looks like the Abby gal is growing growing growing. Hope you have fun with Steph and Jeff this week! -Kaylee

background

counter