Monday, December 20, 2010

holiday baking!

We've had some fun over the weekend trying several new baking recipes.  I thought I'd share the quick versions of each.  I had a lot of fun baking with Abby - she likes it too.  Anything where she can help and be involved is so much fun for her, and, as long as you watch for eggshells, she can be quite the helper. 

The first recipe we tried was for brownie covered oreos.  Yes.  You heard me correctly.  A friend of mine shared this link.  If you want to make them, check it out - her blog and pictures are much much prettier than mine.  But, the gist is suuuuuper simple.  You dip oreos in brownie batter and bake them in muffin cups.  A word to the wise - really grease up those muffin cups enough and loosen the brownies as soon as you take them out of the oven.  After they cool a little, this will make it much easier to get them out.  I used the mint oreos with mine, and they came out yummy.



Last night, Abby and I worked together to make some Christmas sugar cookies.  I cheated and just used a bag mix for the batter, but we did make our own icing later on.  Abby had a great time.

that purple man *is* actually a spoon...don't worry.

This was Abby's favorite part for sure.  
(ignore the play-doh in the background by the flour.....secret ingredient. ;)



I actually forgot to take any good pictures of them decorated - but we'll be doing this again this week, so perhaps I'll remember to get some then.


And lastly, my favorite adventure of the weekend was homemade marshmallows.  I didn't even know people did this, and then I found this link and video.  Here's what you need to know.  The ingredients are not expensive, you probably have most of it on hand anyway, and they are super easy to make.  This is going to be my new holiday staple I think.  There are so many ways you could mix these up - but I made mine peppermint marshmallows.

All in the pan and waiting to set.

freshly cut and powdered

I chose to decorate about half of mine by dipping them in dark chocolate and candy can pieces. 
They're yummy.

So, just thought I'd share.  I hope those of you who enjoy baking are having as much fun with this time of year as we are.  

And just because I never got around to posting these earlier.  I'll leave you with these pictures of Kyle and Abby.  This was on her birthday lunch and she was being so silly.  I think they're sweet. 




No comments:

background

counter