Saturday, December 18, 2010

manipulation

Since she's started talking, we've had a kind of pattern that we do with Abby when she asks something.  It stems from when she started talking and it was hard to understand her.  The format is:

- Abby says something
- we repeat it to make sure that's what she said
- she confirms that, yes, that is what she asked
- and we answer her.

For example:

Abby: "blkdalkMilk?"
Me: "Do you want some milk?"
Abby: "Milk."
Me: "ok.  you can have some"

But, lately, she's started doing something else.  And, it catches me off guard.  I think she's totally manipulating me.  Because now, when I repeat what she's asked me in order to confirm that's what she wanted - she takes it as her answer.

For example:

Abby: "Cookie?"
Me: "Do you want a cookie?"
Abby: "okay, thank you."

And then I have to be all like, "No, you can't have a cookie right now, I was just asking if that's what you were asking"....which is kind of hard to explain to a 2 year old.  And when she says "okay, thank you" She says it really chipper.  It's cute....which makes it harder to get mad at her for not waiting for a real answer.

Here are some others.

Abby: "Ready set go?"
Me: "Do you want to run?"
Abby: "Okay! Yes! Thank you!"
(takes off running)

Abby: "m&m's?"
Me: "no, you can't have any m&ms"
Abby: "Green m&m?"
Me: "Yes, that one is green."
Abby: "Ok. Yes, thank you!"

Me: "Abby, it's time to go, go get your coat."
Abby: "stay at party?"
Me: "Oh, you want to stay at the party, huh?"
Abby: "Ok! Yes.  Thank you Mama!"

And then sometimes, she just goes total Jedi on me.  The other day, I was eating something she wanted.  She stood right in front of me and just stared at me.  Eventually, this happened:

Abby: "want some?"
Me: "oh, do you want some?"
Abby: "Thank you!"
Me: "Um, no, this is mommy's food."
Abby: "Yes, thank you!"
Me: "This is not for you."
Abby: "Thank you, please" (holding out hand)
Me: "no, Abby"
Abby: "Yes."
Me: "no"
Abby: "Thank you! Yes. You're welcome. Please."
Me: "Abby, no."
Abby: "Mama, yes"

And then she waves her hand in front of my eyes and gets what she wants.

Just kidding.  Most of the time I stick to my guns.  Mostly.

Anyway, I'm heading to bed, but just wanted to jot this down before it escaped my head.  I hope everyone had a nice weekend.  Perhaps I'll write more about ours later, but so far, it's been nice.

2 comments:

*Jen* said...

This is hilarious. And - I'm shaking my head b/c Paige does her version of the same thing. So funny how similar they are.
Paige will say "Water? water?" and I'll say "what do you say?" Then she'll respond: "Pwease?! OK!"
She does that with everything: "Pwease?! OK!"
Hilarious.

Brandy@YDK said...

love the little conversations. she's very clever

background

counter