Saturday, February 5, 2011

catch up

So, as expected, I've waited long enough to blog that the urgency of certain moments and memories have begun to fade.  But, I know there are still things from this week that I want to remember.  Since I'm not really sure where to start - we're going to do this list style.  K?

1) Have I mentioned how much Abby loves her kitchen?  We play in it everyday.  She's so funny.  I mean, it seriously cracks me up to watch her.  Mostly because she so often mimics our mannerisms, phrases, tones, and habits.  Her most recent thing is that she has learned to set her table.  Sometimes she uses the ottoman in her room, and sometimes she brings in her play table.

She's very particular about who sits where.  In the picture below, my spot is the one with the soup.  Doggie sits to my left, then Abby, then daddy.  Doggie always has a spot. 

Doggie is the friend of choice at the moment.  He's a puppet that we got on clearance several weeks ago.  She loves him.  He goes with us everywhere, she sleeps with him, and he is the honored guest at every tea party.  Here he is getting fed (and, yeah, Abby likes to wear random hats while we play *shrug*)

2) Another few things about doggie.  We have some wooden play food and Abby thinks that the wooden carrot is doggie's favorite food.  She is constantly feeding him the carrot.  She carries him around with the carrot stuck down in his mouth.  And she says things to him like "Doggie loves carrots!  Chew it up doggie! Yum yum yum!"

Also, Abby knows that certain toys stay upstairs and some stay down.  There are very few that get moved around between floors (mostly just her stuffed animals/dolls)  Her play food and dishes stay upstairs in her kitchen because I don't really feel like keeping track of all of them downstairs, y'know?  Well, the other day - we were coming downstairs.  I was holding Abby, and she was holding doggie.  On the way down, I notice that doggie (the puppet) is clinking.  This was our exchange:

Me: "Abby?  Did you put something inside doggie?"
Abby: "Huh? Umm.  no"
Me: "Abby.  What's inside doggie?"
Abby: "Doggie go downstairs?"
Me: "Yes, doggie can come downstairs, but what did you put inside doggie?"
(I look to find 3 plates, 2 plastic cookies and a play ice cream cone)
Me: "Abby.  The food stays upstairs"
Abby: "Doggie really heavy"
Me: "Go put the food back in your room"
Abby: (sigh) "doggie really likes cookies!"
Me: "I know."

Since then, she's tried to use doggie to sneak things upstairs and down - or to the car.  I gotta keep an eye on her. ;)

3)  We flipped Abby's carseat a few days ago.  My goal was to make it to 2-years rear facing, so I'm happy we did that.  It's a little weird to have her turned around now - but she loves it.  On our first drive with her flipped, she kept laughing and pointing at things.  She was having so much fun.  We taught her that green lights mean go and red mean stop and she picked that up right away.  Too bad traffic was horrendous - she kept getting frustrated when I wouldn't go on green. :)  She also seemed to really notice she lived in the city when, after watching things for a while, said, "Mama? There people everywhere!  Trains everywhere too!  There people and trains EVERYWHERE!"


4) Snow.  We've had over 6 ft of snow since January 1st.  The snow itself doesn't bother me too much.  Now that we've had a bunch of ice - things are a bit more hazardous.  The really annoying thing is parking.  At my school, most of the parking is on a hill. What lots there are are poorly plowed and the whole situation just gets ridiculous.

Our front walk.  This was after a day of rain that melted a good bit!

view of the back yard.  You can see how far the snow is up the picket fence...and it's that deep across the whole yard. The slide has another bump in it you can't see. 

5) Temperament.  Abby is not a difficult child.  Really, she's not.  But, she does have her moments and days that have me searching through random piles of papers looking for that gypsy's phone number.  Kyle was gone for about a week, and during that week, I was home with Abs more than usual due to a few snow days.  The results was, we both were going stir crazy.  She wore on me, I probably wore on her -but despite all that, we had some good times and lots of cuddles and bonding time too.  Since Kyle's come home, she's been super clingy and in a No! Mommy-do-it! phase.  It's tiring.  She's getting used to him being back now, but it's just kinda weird.

6) Abby has learned to use her step that we keep downstairs to new advantages.  This means, we had to stop keeping fruit on the kitchen island.  She has no problem climbing up and taking her pick of apples or whatever we have.  And, I'm fine with that, really.  The problem is when she takes 2 bites of an apple, throws it under the couch and goes to get another one.  So, we're having to watch her.  She can now open the fridge by herself too.  It's not uncommon for her to go to the fridge, open it, stand there and say "Hmmm, let's see..."  And help herself to something.  Again - gotta keep an eye on her or the next thing I'll know she'll be painting with ketchup or pouring her own milk.

Ok.  That's good for now.  I have this nagging feeling that I'm forgetting to blog about that one really important thing I wanted to write about, but, I suppose I'll think of it later.

No comments:

background

counter