Friday, February 18, 2011

tag, you're older.

Usually once a week, I take Abby to the mall down the road from our house.  This mall has an indoor playspace, and during these cold snowy months, it's a good place for Abby to get a chance to run and climb and play and burn off some energy.  It's also a good place for her to practice social skills, and we spend a good bit of time talking about manners and sharing and how to say hi to other kids.  Most of the time, she does fine.

Abby loves the playspace, but, as is typical for children her age, she doesn't really acknowledge the other kids too much.  She will wait her turn and share and she will climb along side another child - but she's not playing *with* them.  And that's fine. Totally normal.

But then, yesterday, she grew up. Right in front of my eyes.

The crowd had thinned out to us and two other kids.  A 15 month old girl and a nearly 3 year old girl.  The younger one spent her time watching everything going on, cautiously exploring her surroundings, but not venturing too far from her mom.  The 3 year old wanted to play with somebody, and Abby was the only option.

The girl goes up to Abby.
Girl: "Hi!  Do you want to play?"
Abby: "Ummm.  Ok!"
Girl: "Let's play tag"
Abby: "Sure."

I told the girl that Abby didn't know how to play tag, so then I explained it to Abby.  "When you play tag, you run and run and run and touch the other person (gently) and say TAG!"

Abby says, "Ok! Let's play tag!"

And off they went.  Now, it wasn't truly tag.  Both girls just had fun running after each other without rhyme or reason. Chasing each other down the room and back.  Occasionally, they would remember to touch the other and say "tag"  But, mostly, they were just taking turns chasing each other.  But they were having a blast. Giggles filled the room.  And Abs totally got it.

Abby then suggested, "Let's go play in car"
The girl agreed.

And so they sat in the car together and they drove to the store to buy apples mostly.  They also drove to the library, and somewhere else too...then they wanted to play tag again.

I took Abby to this same playspace last week - and she didn't so much as look at another child.  And here we are, 7 days later, and she's made a friend, and they're playing tag and (kinda trying to) play hopscotch and then they played several rounds of "ring around the rosie" holding hands and falling down and laughing together.  It was so odd.  She was suddenly so grown up.  I don't even think I blinked and I still nearly missed it.

I just watched them play, awestruck a little at how my little baby was suddenly a little girl.  At one point, I realized I was holding my breath.  I was just...I don't know.  It was like I was watching this whole side of Abby, that I barely knew existed, blossom right in front of me.

At one point during their play, I was so impressed when Abby stopped and said "My name is Abby!"  This new skill was one we'd been practicing in the car on the way to the mall.  How to introduce yourself and ask names.  The other girl said her name and Abby said, "Oh, hi....more tag?"

As it was time for everyone to go home, the girls put their shoes on together and sat next to each other on the bench while they both drank some water.  We shared an elevator and walked out to the car with them.

When we got in the car, Abby said "Mama!  I made a new fwiend!"

((Sigh.))  I'm so proud of her, but also, I want to completely stop time right now.  

She went on to recap the entire afternoon and every detail of what she and her new friend had done together.  The most memorable of which was, apparently, playing tag and drinking water.

We're going to meet up with Abby's new friend again next week, and I'm sure they'll both be thrilled.  And, maybe, I'll have a chance over the next few days to admit to myself that she's just growing up.  And it's breath taking to watch.

3 comments:

hannah said...

i'll say what my mom said about pratt. i think it's God's way of preparing her to be a big sister. it's awesome and heartbreaking...all wrapped up in one.

i LOVE her pigtails.

Brandy@YDK said...

it's so bittersweet. Abby is such a lovely girl. she's going to be a great big sister

*Jen* said...

Laura, I felt like I was holding my breath just reading this! What a moment!

background

counter