Friday, February 11, 2011

maybe she gets it

It's hard to tell how much Abby understands as far as baby #2 goes.  We've slowly started talking more about it, we check out baby books, she plays with her baby dolls and we talk about how to act around a baby.  She feels my belly and feeds, hugs, pats, and tickles the baby.  But still, I can't imagine that she really understands what's going to happen, y'know?

So we were driving yesterday and out of the blue Abby says, "I'm gonna be a BIG Sister!"

It took me by surprise because we weren't currently talking about baby stuff, and the term "big sister" is not one that I've really used a lot with her.  Obviously, she's heard it and we've said it - but, for whatever reason, it's not part of our daily dialogue yet.

So, the rest of our conversation when like this:

Me: "Yes, you are!  That's right.  Abby is going to be a big sister"
A: "Abby is a big sister when baby comes"
Me: "That's right"
A: "Baby in mommy's tummy, and baby getting bigger"
Me: "Yep"
A: "And baby getting stroooonger too, baby move"
Me: "Very good Abby, you're right, do you feel the baby move sometimes?"
A: "yeah, and baby get big and come out"
Me: "Yes, when the baby gets big enough, it will come out and live with us at our house"
A: "yeah, at our house.  Baby stay at our house.  And I feed it"
Me: "Well, you can help"
A: "yeah, I can help.  And be gentle with baby.  Baby really really tiny, so be gentle"
Me: "Yes.  We have to be gentle with the baby"
A: "baby in mommy's tummy and I hug her"
Me: "It's nice when you hug the baby.  Is it a girl baby or a boy baby?"
A: "Ummm.  girl baby"
Me: "Well, we'll see. Maybe it's a boy baby"
A: "yeah, maybe boy baby"
Me: "Abby, you're going to be a very good big sister.  I'm very proud of you"
A: "Yes. Abby be nice to baby."

So.  Maybe she gets it more than I think she does.  Of course a lot of that conversation is her repeating things we've told her and rehearsed, but the conversation as a whole was so unprompted that it made me wonder.  She was obviously thinking about the whole ordeal in that little head of hers before we even started talking.

Abby decided to feed the baby a cookie the other day.  Cookies and ice cream cones are what she likes to share with her little sibling most days.  Good choices, if you ask me. 
I can only imagine that as we start the process of transforming her room and setting up the new nursery, that we will have more opportunities to talk about the baby.  And, I'm sure, she will have her share of jealousies and insecurities when baby comes.  But, overall, I'm optimistic.  She really is going to be a great big sister.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find myself wanting to click on "like" when I read your blogs. Ah, new technology!

~Leah

background

counter