Saturday, August 20, 2011

yellow

The other night, Abby wanted to read a little color book before bed.  On every page, she would tell me what the color was and what the picture (usually an animal) was.  So, she would say "it's a purple zebra" or "it's an orange cat" etc etc.  She likes to tell me the letters in the words too.  So, she'll say "It's a red dog, I see a R E and D"  You get the idea.

We were trying to set the mood for bedtime, so the lights were low.

We get to the last page, which is a yellow something or another, I don't remember. But, because the yellow is a lighter shade, it was a little hard to read in the low lights.

Abby immediately sat up straight and started talking

"Oh no!  It's too dark!  We can't see it.  I know!  I just need to get my flashlight.  I need to get my flashlight so I can see the page because the lights are dark and we just can't see it and I just need to read the color so I just need to get my flashlight.  I will get my flashlight, it's in the bed, I just need to get it right now.  I just need to get it so I can read the page in the book and see the color because I can't see the colors right now because the lights are a little bit dark so I just need to get my flashlight and so I can just see the page now with my flashlight. Yeah.  I can get my flashlight mom!  Then I can just get it, and I can see the color.  We can't read it yet, we have to get the flashlight so we can see it better and we can read it when I get my flashlight, ok mom? ok? ok mom?  mom?  mama? ok mama?  MOM?  I need to get my flashlight so I can see the color, I just need to read the last page but the lights are dark and I just need to get my  flashli-."

...and that's where I interrupted her.  I'd just been staring at her - listening to her explain her actions over and over.  I was mesmerized.  When did she start explaining everything like that?  She seriously rambled and repeated herself for a good two minutes or so before I snapped out of my trance and helped her find her flashlight.  At which point, she cheerfully said "Oh goody!  Now I can see it! Yep.  It's yellow. Y-e-i-i-o-w, yellow"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smart S-M-A-R-T is what Isee.

Granny

*Jen* said...

It's amazing, isn't it. Paige does this, and I think "Shouldn't she still be sounding out 'da-da'??!!"

background

counter