Sunday, August 3, 2008

overwhelmed.

Kyle and I went to register at a few places today...thus the title.

There are so many things.  So many kinds of things.  So many little differences between the things that you're not even sure you want let alone that you need.  We've done pretty well compromising on things.  Trying to get things that can be used again...but still indulging in my occasional must have pink-thing-a-ma-jig.  I know babies don't really need that much.  And I try to keep that in mind.  But, there are things they need. 

Strollers.  So many things to think about.  We spent a long time playing with strollers today.  And then when you find the one with all the features you like...it only comes in designs you don't like.  So do you settle for the second best quality/functionality because you love the cloth?  I don't know.  

Bedding.  This is a lost cause on us right now.  We'll find something...I know.  But today was our first day looking, and well....we just have very different tastes.  Kyle likes things that are big bright bold colors, jungle animals, and sports.  I like more modern designs with calmer colors.  It was very difficult explaining to him my aesthetic opinions.  Conversations usually followed this type of pattern: 

Kyle: how about this one?  
Me: No, that's too boyish.
Kyle: how about this one?
Me: No, that's too girly.  Do you like this?
Kyle: It's blue...isn't blue for boys?
Me: Only some blues. Some blues can be for girls.
Kyle: How about this one?
Me: No...that's a boy blue.

Well...we couldn't agree on one so we figured the perfect set must not have been at that store anyway.  

Furniture.  Here's another whole world of decisions that are too big for me to make.  They have lifetime cribs.  The kind that convert as the child grows and so they can have the "same" bed from birth - adulthood.  ....I can't decide what shampoo to use most mornings, how am I supposed to know if this little girl will want the same bed forever?  How do I know I will want her to have that same bed.  But then it makes cribs seem like a poor value...same price, just one bed.  And THEN, I remember that we don't even have room for a crib...let alone a dresser and anything else.  Then I get sad.  And everything is so pricey. I should just look on craigstlist.  

Anyway.  

We made it through the day.  We don't really know what we're doing, but we're shooting laser guns at things in stores.  And learning, bit by bit.  It's just a little bit overwhelming. 

2 comments:

hannah said...

don't be overwhelmed. i remember that feeling. there is so much. i can tell you what we bought. i asked lots of questions about what we'd really, really need. clint wastes very little money...which is good.

my email is hannahfielderfulks@yahoo.com

email me. i can't find your email address...

Ben and Bethany said...

I didnt like any of the bedding sets so I just mixed and matched stuff...a blanket from here, a sheet from there until I had the scheme I was going for. No matter what you buy - that girl is going to be clothed in love and that's all that really matters :)

background

counter