Saturday, March 13, 2010

lazy saturday

Its 7:30 pm and I'm still in my PJs. Its been that kind of day. Not a bad day, but a lazy day...very laaaazy.

It didn't dawn on me until after I posted yesterday that it was technically Abby's 15-month day. So, I should have mentioned that. I feel that the progress she has made between months 14 and 15 are off the charts. She has done more in this last month than all the others combined...ok, well, that may be an overstatement, but its how it seems.

She has started walking, and now walks 90% of the time, her vocabulary has doubled, if not tripled lately. She tries to say things after you, she has started trying to crawl down stairs instead of just up. Just today, in fact, she went from sitting to standing without the aid of an object to pull up on. I really do feel like she's doing something new everyday. As I mentioned previously, she's getting really good at saying Please and Thank you - and while I don't think she fully understands when or why she has to say "please" she definitely knows to say Thank you when somebody gives her something. Its so cute.

Of course, not everything is progress - with the new freedom and independance Abby is discovering comes a healthy dose of frustration when things don't go her way. She wants so so badly to do everything herself. And when she can't, she throws tantrums. Her screams are completely disproportionate to her problems. If she wants to put on her hat, but can't seem to get it to work, she will throw herself on the ground and scream all while throwing things. Its crazy. Of course, if you try to help her, she pouts, pushes you away and stomps off...but if she manages to do it herself, she is instantly cooing and happy again.

Sigh.

I try to stay on top of it. I understand that she simply doesn't know another way to express her frustration at her limitations and I don't think she's ready for time outs...or that those are even the answer. I think this is simply a phase that will (hopefully) pass as she adds to her bank of words and expressions to help her manage her emotions.

Anyway. The last month has been amazing.

Back to today.

We spent a lot of time this morning uptairs. Abby pulled all the books off her shelf and sat and read through most of them. She's loving the books with animals in them now that she has learned to identify many of them. At night, we've started letting her pick 3 books. Lately, she picks a prayer book (because it has sheep in it), a baby bible (because the pictures are bright) and usually a touch and feel book about puppies & kittens. Kyle and I have started saying bedtime prayers with Abby every night. She thinks they're funny.


just another picture of Abby with her books - but we picked up these PJs yesterday and I think they're adorable.

I've mentioned that Abby gets into everything, now, right? And I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that my baking drawer is her favorite thing ever. I've removed all the icing tubes that she could actually get icing out of, but that doesn't stop her from carrying around sprinkles and cookie cutters all day. Today, I caught her "hiding" the icing in her high chair...yep, they'll never find it there...

...but then, she noticed that she could do even better. I caught her lifting up the fabric on her footrest and putting them under it. She didn't pay me any attention as I snapped these pictures, and when she was done she just walked off - totally pretending that she wasn't up to anything.


sillykat.

Speaking of kat - Abby has started "meowing" randomly throughout the day. Its odd, but I find it endearing.

Our other activity on this lazy saturday was to introduce Abby to her first play-doh. She wasn't quite sure what to do with it at first, and after several (failed) attempts at eating it, she played with the can more than the dough. However, she eventually got the hang of it and discovered that poking her finger in it was good fun.

what's that?




And now I'm going to log off of here, enjoy a movie with my hubby (who has been locked in the office all day working hard on school work). Tomorrow is looking to be a busier day.

1 comment:

jennybee said...

Supercute. I remember when you first got into that doing everything yourself and screaming when you couldn't phase. At least you grew out of the screaming part!

background

counter