Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Dr. Rodriguez

In true Laura fashion, I'm blogging a few days behind live time.

But, some things just need to be documented, even if they're a few days late. :)

And this particular thing is that my best friend Billie Jo has successfully completed her PhD in School Psychology. She graduated on Monday from the University of Oregon and is now, officially, Dr. Billie Jo. :) If your curious - here's more about her.

To tell you that I'm proud of her would be a gross understatement. Not only did Billie Jo complete her PhD - she did it with so much grace. I wish I could find, bottle, and sell the "organized & put-together" gene that she possesses. Because, not only would I be a millionaire, but I'd probably be a bit less scatter brained myself.

Billie Jo makes school look easy, in a sense. Of course school's not easy. Especially grad school. It is demanding and draining and time consuming...and everything that is the opposite of easy. Billie Jo started school in Kindergarten and hasn't taken a break since. I couldn't do it, and I'm constantly impressed that she did. But not only did she manage to excel at school, she managed to maintain a life outside of school at the same time. Crazy kid. She teaches taekwondo and invested a lot of her time into that passion as well. Of course, she also has husband and friends that she manages to support and love all the while. Me? Me - I sometimes get to work to discover diapers and rubber ducks in my work bag and dried yogurt in my hair. I have half a dozen books that I've been trying to finish for a year, but keep getting sidetracked by things like, I dunno, trash day and getting an oil change. Reminder to self: needed to get oil changed 1000 miles ago.

But Billie Jo - she is graceful. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching her become the professional she is today. I enjoy that we share this field and can vent to each other about silly school psych related issues. I remember how hard it was for her when she moved from Arkansas to Oregon. I remember how lonely it was for a while and how busy she was balancing a new life, a new marriage, new job, new school, new state all at once. I remember her calling and telling me how busy she was and how crazy time consuming things were. I enjoyed learning about her projects and her research. I was happy to see her when she traveled to Boston to present at a conference. I was proud of her when she finished her exams, and her courses. I was thrilled when her internship plans worked out and have been happy to hear how much she is valued in her position now. I can't wait to see what's next. Whatever it is - she'll be great at it.

I just wanted to document this occasion and to tell Billie Jo (and everyone else) that I'm so proud of her, so happy for her and so so so thankful to be her friend. I really lucked out.


Oh, and I'm also pretty excited that I'll be visiting the new Dr. Rod next week! I will be traveling to Oregon...wait for it...alone, and staying for a whole week. This will be the first time I've left Abby overnight - let alone 7 overnights. I'm a little (really a lot) nervous. But, mostly, I'm excited to visit with my friend, and to have some time to relax and do girly things and just spend time together. A big thank you also goes to Kyle - who agreed to let me skip town for a week while he and Karen take care of Abs. I know he really wanted to come too and was sad that we couldn't make that work. So, thanks babe, I know it was a sacrifice.
This is a big step for me, y'all. Wish me luck! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A big Conway congratulations to Dr. Billie Jo!! The Shachmuts are really proud of you and your achievements. Now go conquer the world! And enjoy your girl time with Laura. And what a son to agree to "hold the fort" in her absence!! I am so proud of all of you! And love you! Ouma

jennybee said...

Congrats to Billie Jo! Big hugs. I'm so glad y'all get some quality time together.

Billie Jo said...

Oh how you never fail to make me teary eyed when I least expect it (at least I'm at home this time and not crying in the coffee shop) reading your blog. Thanks for everything, and especially for coming to visit me soon. I feel almost selfish that I get to steal you for almost a whole week! :)

background

counter