Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dear Abigail

Dear Abby,

I can't believe how quickly you're growing now.

I think you do new things every day and sometimes I feel like I just can't keep up. You are constantly surprising me with the things you know and understand. You catch me off guard several times a day with the connections you make between things, with the new words you say, and the ease with which we communicate.

I should probably just keep a daily log of the little bitty new things you do everyday so that I don't forget them, but for now, I'll try to remember to mention things here as I find time to blog. So, here are a few things.

This one is from today. I pulled the sheets for the guest bed from the dryer and we went upstairs to sort laundry. After the clothes were done, I started making the guest bed. I put on the fitted sheet, then the top sheet, then the comforter and you just stood there and watched me. As I was turning down the covers you suddenly turned and ran out of the room. Ten seconds later and you come back with an arm full of pillow cases. You ran up to me and offered them up to me and said "Thank You!" Which is kind of your way of telling ME to tell You "thank you" And I did.

I mean, I know it's not a big thing, but I was so impressed. I don't know that you've ever seen me put pillow cases on a pillow before. I didn't even know you knew what they were, let alone that you would make the connection that those pillow cases were the right one for that bed set and that I was about to need them.

In that same train of thought, you're becoming rather helpful around the house. For a while now, you've been a pro and throwing things away for me when I ask. You always throw away the wipes we use to clean you after meals. Lately, your new favorite thing is to help me unload the dishwasher. You especially like to bring me all the silverware, and then anything else you can grab. And you know where most of it goes. You can put away your own plates and the mixing bowls and lots of other things. Don't worry, I make sure all the dangerous stuff is out before you have a chance to find them. Point is, I actually appreciate your help. :)

You dad will probably not like me mentioning this next one, but that's ok. I want to remember it. On occasion, your daddy has a habit that drives me a little crazy. He will actually lick his plate clean. Now, I know there are worse offenses out there, and I should be glad that this is the biggest problem I've got, but still, I get on to him every time.

Well, tonight, when you were done with your meal, you sighed, looked at your plate, picked it up and licked it from bottom to top. You licked every last spot. I think I said something to your daddy like "Look! Look what you've done!!" Oh goodness. It's a good reminder that you're always watching.

I could go on and on with these little stories. You say so many words now and you're starting to put them together to form primitive sentences "Thank you, mama" "Outside please" "go to car? shoes?" You sing all the time and I'm always impressed with your detail to the tune and inflections of the songs. You've started singing songs while you're playing an instrument. Like, you'll sing Old McDonald while you beat on the drums, or you'll sing the ABCs while playing (banging) on the xylophone. Maybe you'll be a singer/songwriter. :) All these little things, they're not big things, but they're the things that impact my day everyday. And, as we know, lives are made up of days and days of moments. Moments like these. I'm so lucky. :)

You are the light of my everyday,

Love you,
Mommy

2 comments:

Billie Jo said...

love this post. :)

REA said...

You should keep these and write a book! Ditto what Billie said--from BOTH of us!

Granny and Grandpa
X0X0X0X0X0X

background

counter