Tuesday, August 31, 2010

savings and compromises

Today was a good day for coupon savings at our local grocery store. I decided to try out several deals I'd seen posted around the internet. I spent yesterday afternoon printing and organizing my coupons and making a list for today.

My store supposedly doubles coupons under $1. But, that's never worked for me before. So, I made sure it was posted in the store (and it was) and decided I would argue the point if need be. So, Abs and I gathered our things and headed to the checkout. I picked the wide eyed young skinny high school kid cashier - I figured he'd help me out. And he did. We were BFFs by the end of everything. ;)

Now, before I show you my silly pictures of our spoils, I have to put in a disclaimer. I bought a lot of things this week that we NEVER buy. Honestly, a lot of it is kinda junky or processed foods. There are 2 reasons for this. 1) I got them for ridiculously cheap and if I'm gonna have junky food around, I'd rather not have paid (much) for it and 2) Kyle and I are trying to really curb our eating out to only a few times a month if at all. With work starting back next week and school starting back for him - I foresee some nights when I don't FEEL like cooking. That's what the boxed meals are for. They're a backup plan. And well, at least they were cheap.


Our store had a buy 10 (certain) items- get $5 off deal, so I used that with coupons to get this:
I paid $2.44, saved $21.96!

Here's the second 10 item deal:
I think I paid $7 (no coupons for the veggies)

these were free
(and I'm going back tomorrow to get more pickles)

Here's all of it (minus the first picture)
The pizza was an impulse buy. There were 6 items I didn't have a coupon for, but they were all on sale to some extent in store.
Spent: 59.23, saved 41.46

So, my grand totals.
Total Bill: 125.09
Total Saved: 63.42
Total Spent: 61.67

I'm not a coupon queen yet (like Bethany!) But, I'm slowly getting there...I'm like a coupon apprentice. But, any trip where I save more than I spend is a win for me.

2 comments:

jennybee said...

Wow, very impressed. Both with your savings and your lovely merchandising of your purchases in your kitchen. Nicely done.

Bethany said...

Wonderful! And such a smart girl to find the "right" cashier. That is sometimes the most important part!

background

counter