Tuesday, August 3, 2010

new table

I've been on a mission for a while now to find Abby a table. We don't really have a place for her to color or to have a snack other than her high chair - and that's just not working.

So, I've searched craigslist daily and gone to yard sales and have just not found anything that I thought would work. I finally found the table I really wanted - it's from pottery barn kids. It's beautiful. But, y'know what? It's $150+ dollars and I had set my budget at $30. A few days ago, I actually decided to just save up for it. That's how much I liked it. ....and still do.

But then today, something else caught my eye and I thought, "Hmm, that juuuuust might work" I saw an ad for this little kid sized picnic table. The seller lived about 5 mins from my house, it was the color I wanted, seemed to be in decent condition, and she only wanted $20. So, we got it.

She bought it a year ago, and it's been outside every since. So, needless to say the table was more than a little dirty. Since I wanted it to be an indoor table, Karen and I spent a good hour cleaning out every nook, bolt, crevice, and surface. Twice. ;)

before.

We finally finished and set it up inside with a basket of some of Abby's favorite crafts.
Abby woke from her nap - she must have had a bad dream - she just wanted to hug me for a long time. When we came downstairs, she still didn't want me to put her down. Then she saw the table. She ran over to it and said "Oooooh! Oh My!" She didn't hesitate at all. She climbed right up, grabbed some crayons and started coloring.

my favorite thing about this picture?
Her mad scientist hair.

we colored and stamped


and played with magic markers
(those kind that only mark on special paper - genius)

and we played with play-doh
...art doesn't have to make sense.

Play-doh is still pretty new to Abs. She spent most of her time tearing it into very small pieces. She gets this from her father - you should see what he does with junk mail.

I'm happy with it. Abs was happy with it, so what more could I want? It's functional, sturdy, in good shape and I didn't have to save up for 4 months to get it. Win win.

4 comments:

Billie Jo said...

If I haven't become your next door neighbor by the time I have kids, will you become familiar with the craigslist and yardsales in my area? I'm pretty sure anyone more savvy at finding good deals does not exist. :) Awesome find!

Brandy@YDK said...

wow - what a score!

Kristen said...

I love the Albert Einstein look.

Another great find!

hannah said...

I'm So jealous. I've been looking too. At antique stores. PrAtt needs a table of his own. He must feel like he's in an Alice in wonderland movie always seeing things too big for him.

I love the table. And I too love the pottery barn one :) but I refuse. Because isn't it always better to have something with a little bit of history? And it's recycling :)

I love the picture of the playdoh withthe crayon sticking put of it. She is adorable.

background

counter