Friday, February 6, 2009

Celtics vs. Lakers

Last night was the first night we left Abby at home while Kyle and I went out.  We went to the much anticipated Celtics/Lakers game.  Kyle was very excited about the whole thing. :)

It was kinda weird.  I think there is something intrinsically unnatural feeling about leaving your newborn at home while you go out just to have fun.  It just feels like she should have come with us.  If I'm going to have fun, I want her to be there too...

Our good friend Mary came over to watch the Abster while we were out, which was great.  It was nice to leave her with somebody we know and trust.  Really, I didn't ever worry about Abby while we were gone.  I wasn't worried that she wouldn't sleep or eat or that Mary wouldn't know where something was - no, I was fine.  As Kyle and I waited for a train to come take us to the game, I was feeling a little mopey.  Part of it was that I was still a little sickly and part of it was that it was FA-Reezing outside, but part of it was that I felt guilty about leaving her at home.  Not that she knew any different...

Anyway, once we got to the game, I found my mood lightening in spite of myself.  I had almost forgotten how fiercely loyal Bostonians can be to their teams.  It was fun to see everyone decked out in their best "beat LA" gear and Kyle and I smiled and chuckled everytime we heard somebody throwing insults at some poor guy dressed in purple and gold.

Kyle noted that several random people ganged up on some poor Lakers fan in the restroom - giving him a hard time, insulting Kobe and the team, making fun of him and just doing some hardcore teasing.  When the lakers fan left the restroom, one of the boston guys spoke up and said in a thick Boston accent "Aw, it's all in good fun fellas - a lakers fan should never feel comfortable in our Gahden - especially in a bathroom at the Gahden"

The game was exciting and the atmosphere was great.  Kyle and I stood with 20,000 other people as Pierce missed the would-be game winning shot to send the game into overtime.  We booed with the masses as KG was fouled out of the game on a bad ref call.  We yelled and shouted at the players as the seconds ticked down in overtime and we missed the shot to win the game (again).  And we filed out of the stadium back onto the trains with thousands of others.  

I got a kick when the subway security officers were actually trying to enforce that all 20,000 people pay their train fare before walking through the little ticket gates (meaning that people had to walk through the gates one-by-one thus causing quite the backup)  Some big Boston-looking guy beside us yelled over the crowd "Hey, Officer! You'd better unlock those gates - we just lost to the Lakers - you don't even want to see what this mob is capable of doin!"  Not 10 seconds later the gates were opened and everyone got on the trains for free. :-)

Anyway.  We got home, Abs was sleeping and did great (Thanks Mary!) Kyle and I decided to stay up and watch TV and we all went to bed after Abby ate around 3.  So, it was good to get out and to have that "milestone" behind us.  

We'll be going to another game this Sunday (against the Spurs) but we'll be taking the kiddo with us since its an afternoon game.  Until then - here are a few shots of our night out.

Waiting on the train
Photobucket

from our way up high seats. :)
Photobucket

can you tell how happy he is? 
Photobucket

and tens of thousands of hearts break
Photobucket


1 comment:

jennybee said...

Great post. I read it aloud to Ben and it made him laugh hard a couple of times-though that could also be at my bad approximation of a Boston accent. Sounds like a good memory.

background

counter